F20b swap + F23a Tranny = ???

Reaction score
it was a disaster? can u explain in more terms than "ull understand when you get older"?..spill the beans on the exact troubles you had. from the research ive done it doesnt sound bad anymore. just have to mod the wire harness and take the knock sensor and crank angle sensor from my engine and hook it up. im staying obd2 and staying auto (for now)..so what specifically went wrong?

98acclude

Reaction score
honestly man I would totally listen to drift he's done his fair share of h22 swaps...

the f20 b has lower torque than the h22 and mated with the slow matic of the f23 it would not be worth the money you'd be more happy with what you have now... if you had the f20b auto tranny it might not feel quite as bad but trust me drift knows his h22's! but if you do the f20b auto motor with the f23 auto tranny your car will acclerate like ****... lol definately not worth all that money... :/ are cars are too heavy for that combo... I say keep what you have til you can save up some cash for the full swap with a manuel tranny....

Reaction score
honestly man I would totally listen to drift he's done his fair share of h22 swaps...

the f20 b has lower torque than the h22 and mated with the slow matic of the f23 it would not be worth the money you'd be more happy with what you have now... if you had the f20b auto tranny it might not feel quite as bad but trust me drift knows his h22's! but if you do the f20b auto motor with the f23 auto tranny your car will acclerate like ****... lol definately not worth all that money... :/ are cars are too heavy for that combo... I say keep what you have til you can save up some cash for the full swap with a manuel tranny....

umm...motors blown. oil pump went out on the highway..and sense i drive 80mph once it started smoking i d idnt have time to get to the side in order to save the engine...its shot. so technically im not doin a swap..im just getting an engine. so i cant stay with what i have when what i have is nothing. cant get a new car...hell thatd be more expensive than a new engine. and i have to find a way to work everyday....if i can get a new engine id be fine. the f23a is actually slightly more..only slightly..or either slightly cheaper...bt i figure i need a car i might as well do a swap for the f20b....you also say with the f20 auto tranny it might work better. but still run like shyt...everyone says get h22 get h22..well my thing is...if i can find a h22 for less than 900 shipping and tax INCLUDED..then id jump on it. but soo far all i see is a f20b with more hp and only 4tq less...4TQ!?!?!?! is that going to make that big of a diff???

JEER42

Reaction score
I tried the f20b with the f23 auto tranny and ecu and they did not get along at all. I thought the same as you when my engine went out. I had to convert to OBD1 and 5 speed to make it work after the motor was in. The motor does have lower torque than the f23 but an h22 tranny really helps with that. To get the power out of this motor you need to get the rpms up there. Once it hits about 4k, it's awsome after that, I love it! Fun to drive but only if it's manual, when it was automatic it was lame...

98acclude

Reaction score
well dude in that case go for it if your motor's blown cause you can always swap to a manuel later... I guess I missed the part that your motor was blown up... but realize it does take some work and there is always going to be extra money needed for getting an ecu a jumper harness if need and you'll need an engine harness built to get everything running right then you gotta figure out what you're gonna do for getting the driverside mount to work... I can say you're lowend will blow *** and if you finally get to higher rpms you'll love it but I have an f23 manuel tranny on my h22 and I hate my low end... and mine as more torque than the f20b... and according to drift there's about 8-10 less torque compared to the h22... and he says there's a definate difference.. but if you can afford the motor( cause you need one) and the wiring harness and the ecu and all the rest of the small things I say go for it then immediately start saving up for your manuel swap but if you dont have all the extra money to do the swap I say stay with the f23 just because it'll literally just drop in. I'm not trying to discourage you I just would hate to see you buy a motor then have no way to make it run your car... that would just be a waste for you.. :/ just research and price things sum more and make your choice... if you need help or want more info on the swap just pm me.

Reaction score
well dude in that case go for it if your motor's blown cause you can always swap to a manuel later... I guess I missed the part that your motor was blown up... but realize it does take some work and there is always going to be extra money needed for getting an ecu a jumper harness if need and you'll need an engine harness built to get everything running right then you gotta figure out what you're gonna do for getting the driverside mount to work... I can say you're lowend will blow *** and if you finally get to higher rpms you'll love it but I have an f23 manuel tranny on my h22 and I hate my low end... and mine as more torque than the f20b... and according to drift there's about 8-10 less torque compared to the h22... and he says there's a definate difference.. but if you can afford the motor( cause you need one) and the wiring harness and the ecu and all the rest of the small things I say go for it then immediately start saving up for your manuel swap but if you dont have all the extra money to do the swap I say stay with the f23 just because it'll literally just drop in. I'm not trying to discourage you I just would hate to see you buy a motor then have no way to make it run your car... that would just be a waste for you.. :/ just research and price things sum more and make your choice... if you need help or want more info on the swap just pm me.

best advice ive heard...ill stick with f23 for now..

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Make sure your f20b came from a manual transmission, the difference is 20hp vs the one that came with an automatic.

Oso

Reaction score
why is nobody on this site ever help someone with a few problems and questions?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
why is nobody on this site ever help someone with a few problems and questions?

You're asking questions on 10+yr old threads that have long since been either...

1) Forgotten about
2) Never finished/figured out
3) No longer have the vehicles

Long story short, stop trying to make an H22 auto trans work in your car. It's not worth the hassle, time, effort, etc. Find a replacement, drop it in, and go. You've literally posted in every single transmission related thread for almost an entire week with no results. It's not that no one wants to help you, it's more that, no one can.

Back