99 accord wireless trunk and door work intermittently

Ian Faulkner

Reaction score
I've been daily driving my 99 v6 EX accord for a little over a year now and somehow only just realized it had a wireless key fob. When I got the car it only came with a set of keys and the code for the radio. My obliviousness aside I'm having trouble with the remote unlock of the doors and trunk, more the trunk than the doors though. I was able to sync the key to the car with no problem, but the locking and unlocking of my doors are iffy. The doors will unlock and lock every once in a while, and not all of them will always lock and unlock at the same time. I chalk this down to the door motors being weak, as I have this issue when I lock all of the doors from the inside using the switch on the door panel. The main issue is the wireless trunk unlock. Again, I'm oblivious and didn't realize I had to hold on to the trunk unlock to unlock the trunk, or so I thought. I drove with a friend to the beach a few days ago, he has a 2015 accord, and to unlock his trunk he had to hold on to the trunk unlock button of the key fob for the trunk to open. When I got home I tried this but the trunk would still only unlock every once in a while, regardless of whether I held or clicked/spammed the button.
Any ideas as to why the trunk unlock works only sometimes?

Thanks in advance,

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I have always had the same issue with my '99 V6 EX-L, except the reverse - trunk pop works almost all the time, but doors are iffy. I don't know if it's the transponder in the car that communicates with the remote, or if the bad connection is elsewhere. I have tried the "holding the fob to your skull trick" and sometimes that helps haha.

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
I have always had the same issue with my '99 V6 EX-L, except the reverse - trunk pop works almost all the time, but doors are iffy. I don't know if it's the transponder in the car that communicates with the remote, or if the bad connection is elsewhere. I have tried the "holding the fob to your skull trick" and sometimes that helps haha.
Mine did that for awhile, even with changing the battery. Only way I fixed it was swapping the battery again, and replaced all 4 of my door lock actuators. Havent had a issue since in over a year. Maybe worth a shot with your coupe.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Mine did that for awhile, even with changing the battery. Only way I fixed it was swapping the battery again, and replaced all 4 of my door lock actuators. Havent had a issue since in over a year. Maybe worth a shot with your coupe.
Hmm ok. I replaced one of my door lock actuators a while back, think it was driver side. Don't think I ever changed the passenger side, since it was working (kind of). Could be worth a shot, thanks.

Back