power steering high pressure hose

cl206

Reaction score
Hello I still have the 2000 3.0 (V6) coupe and things are starting to go and now I have a leak at the
power steering high pressure hose (at the crimped part near the pump). I have ordered the sunsong one from amazon but does anyone know if this is a part that I would indeed be better off getting the OEM?
The sunsong is 45 and the OEM is 160. The review on amazon for the sunsong is all over the place. Some says it is a perfect fit and others say you need to bend a little.

There is a gates one that is around 70 so I was wondering also if anyone know who actually makes the OEM hose.
Thanks for any help!
-Charlie

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Check RockAuto, they usually have good OE manufacturers that sell quality parts like Beck Arnley, etc.

Also make sure it's not just the o-ring gone bad at the pump, that is often a culprit on J series motors for power steering fluid leak. Depends on where you see the leak though of course.

cl206

Reaction score
Hey RR! Long time, I hope you are doing well! I still have the car (208K miles) but dont drive it as much (been driving an '14 ody for years but this July picked up a kawasaki z400 lol). Last sept did the radiator replacement (fun job lol) and a few month ago rebuild the PS pump (with EricTheCarGuy's video help) and did replace the o rings. In addition I had to replace that hard PS line at the front of the radiator b/c it rusted out so that was a fun job too.

Having done all of the above and watching a few videos on this high pressure line, I think this will also be a similarly adventurous job! But yes I am pretty sure it is leaking at the crimped part at the top right where the rubber meets the metal. Evidently this is a common failure b/c there are quite a few YT videos on this job.

The amzn parts should be here this Friday and I will see what happens. I love RA too but their returns aren't nearly as easy/liberal as amzn. I am still debating if I should spring for the OEM hose though. What do you think?

Update: Was going to spray that flare nut with kroil again (which I did yesterday) while waiting for the sunsong replacement pressure hose from amzn and decided to go at it and was able to bust it loose. Yeah! This job is looking very doable now. Will update everyone for sure.

Oh I also saw that someone had posted an update to the heat soak issue. Bundy from YT believes the cause is a combo of those 3 sensors so I *might* replace those 3 in the future. And yes I still occasionally still suffer the heat/hot soak issue but am living with it haha. 6th gen v6 accord coupe 4ever!

Last edited:

cl206

Reaction score
Job completed! Started Friday at 6 pm and took about 3 hrs but did not finish the job at the time.
1 hr to remove, wasn't too bad. Majority of time (about 2 hrs) was trying to get the flared end back on. It was next to impossible; I almost felt defeated! I don't know if it is b/c I bought an aftermarket or not so I cannot say for sure if the sunsong is a perfect fit or not. For all I know I could have had the same issues with the OEM as well. Eventually I had a helper wiggle the rubber end around with the car on the ground and I was able to get the thread started. There was no way I was going to get the two fasteners back on at the bottom so I just metal and plastic (high temp) zip tied. Saturday morning took about 1.5 hrs to get everything back and works great. No leaks.
Also the old sensor was VERY hard to take off. I actually gave up. I had bought a new one (intermotor) anyways and that worked great.
So all in all I'm glad I didn't get the OEM; the sunsong 3401165 with the intermotor pss30 worked!

I also wanted to add that I did drain the PS fluid so as to not make a mess in the beginning. I removed the intake hose from the reservoir (after turkey bastering out most of the fluid from the reservoir) and then attached a 3/8 hose to that black hose (with tape around the connection) and started the car until most came out into a clean container. I reused the fluid b/c the fluid was recently changed in Sept of last year.

So now for the PS system I have change this and the front pipes. Hopefully the last one doesn't rust out and leak!!!

Last edited:
Back