RR's '99 coupe EX-L

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Changed trans fluid with Honda MTF ~2.3 qts and used engine oil crush washer: 9/10/21 (215,000mi)
Changed oil with ~4.7qts Quaker State 5W20 / OEM filter & new washer: 9/10/21 (215,000mi)

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Replaced car battery & the blend door actuator (79160-S84-A01) today @215,500 miles. Not a bad job, nice to have working heat again. Though air flow through the passenger vents (right-most console vent and vent adjacent to pass door) and windshield defroster vents do not seem to have the flow they used to. Turing on A/C seemed to increase flow in those areas, or maybe I'm crazy. Footwell vents work great on both sides regardless.

Other things that need attention:
- Rear bank head gasket is leaking
- Power steering pump is noisy/high pressure line is leaking
- Rear rotors/pads need replaced

ejreams

Reaction score
Still driving this, wow respect.

I am parting out some stuff and selling my Acura next month, it had a 10 year run and I'm not willing to put any more money into it at this point.

I kind of impulse bought a 94 Corvette as a current daily lmao

Bet that ATS** is fun lol

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Still driving this, wow respect.

I am parting out some stuff and selling my Acura next month, it had a 10 year run and I'm not willing to put any more money into it at this point.

I kind of impulse bought a 94 Corvette as a current daily lmao

Bet that ATS** is fun lol

Well look at this guy. Still got the CL-S wheels? I THINK that's what I met you in the middle of nowhere to sell haha.

Yeah I still have it, I guess since I did so much to it I can't let it go. If I hadn't swapped the drivetrain it might be a different story. I do really want a Merc wagon haha.

I definitely understand where you are coming from, and 10 years is a great run. Congrats on the Vette!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
The thought of letting this car go has entered my mind. I still enjoy driving it and it will always have a special place but I have started to feel like sentimentality is the main reason I am holding onto it, and with the changes in my life (age and practicality) I am not sure that is good enough a reason to keep it anymore. The thought of having something else that's just as enjoyable and would better suit my lifestyle has been in the back of my head for a few months, and I'm thinking about what that might mean.

What's held me back from selling it thus far is (1) it is not going to be worth to anyone else what it is worth to me, and no matter what the actual value of it is I cannot consciously just give it away and still sleep at night. I realize this is not realistic but if you're reading this you probably know that in the 16+ years I have owned this car I have put an immeasurable amount of love, blood, and money into it and it is truly one of a kind. If I were to sell it would have to be to the right buyer in the right situation, I would want the car to go to a good home. (2) going hand in hand with #1, if I sold it is what I might get for it enough to outweigh the enjoyment I still have from it? (3) everything that this car is has slowly been going extinct in modern cars...coupes, manual transmissions, NA V6's, a driving experience that isn't overrefined, overall simplicity, etc. (4) I've always dreamed of fully restoring it one day, I personally think it's still a great looking car and would love to see it looking pristine. (5) it's reliable as hell.

BUT... I have to admit that having 4 cars would be a lot keep up with and do I really want to bother myself with that. I only have a 2 car garage so something's gonna be sitting out in the elements. There is also the fact that my wife can't drive stick and says she's too scared to learn, so out of the 3 cars we have she can only drive one which sometimes can be an issue when we have to divide and conquer with our kids. So having another car she could drive, and that I could haul everyone in too, would be nice.

With the way my life is now I feel if I were to get another car, or replace the Accord, it should ideally be a family hauler. As I alluded to we just have 1 vehicle that is capable of hauling the whole family, but I don't really enjoy driving it (wife's minivan haha). So I want something that can hold all 6 of us but still be enthusiast oriented, something you don't see constantly everywhere, something that is perhaps remotely fun to drive, and that will not break the bank. For me, that basically just leaves wagons, and wagons with a 3rd row are very hard to come by. Unless I want to drive a 90's Volvo or piece of Americana (which I don't :ugh:), that pretty much leaves Mercedes. Yes I know, I know, German car life. Bank broken, right? Well from the extensive research I've done, a 2008-09 E350 (S211) wagon is actually inherently reliable if you buy the right one and keep up with maintenance. A 2010-2012 (S212) is also not out of the question. I've joined forums, researched common issues, and found good parts sources, etc. Now is a wagon as practical as a minivan or SUV? Hell no, you're kidding yourself if you deny the absolute convenience/practicality a minivan provides. My wife loves to remind me of that haha. But alas I am an uncompromising car enthusiast and I like what I like, which means I am willing to accept a certain level of inconvenience/compromise a wagon might bring as opposed to something else.

And hey, if a station wagon is my midlife crisis car, then I'd say I'm not doing too bad! :lawl: Ok yes I would much rather have a supercharged V8 RWD monster E63 wagon, but waaay to much $$.

Anyway, there it is. A strange update to this thread, but admittedly selling this car is something I'm mulling over.

Last edited:

snip33r

Reaction score
i can understand your feeling. i had one and sold as my ex couldn't drive manual but now i can't find a worthy one to have my parts installed and enjoy it. parts have no value as those cars are now history but i still hope one day i will find one to use my parts. the only good thing about you is you enjoyed it for long time. i hope if you do end up selling it, it goes to a person who take care of it as you do.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
i can understand your feeling. i had one and sold as my ex couldn't drive manual but now i can't find a worthy one to have my parts installed and enjoy it. parts have no value as those cars are now history but i still hope one day i will find one to use my parts. the only good thing about you is you enjoyed it for long time. i hope if you do end up selling it, it goes to a person who take care of it as you do.

Yeah finding a 6GA in good condition is no small task. You may have luck selling your parts in the 6GA Facebook groups, still some hardcore people around. If I sold the car I'd rather just sell all the parts along with it too, of which there are boxes and boxes and boxes (the downside to owning a car this long haha). I've pondered putting it on Cars and Bids, but they might not take it with the rust/clearcoat issues it has. With the audience that site has though, I'm confident there are people there that would be interested.

cg4ever

Reaction score
By seeing that cobblestone of text and before even reading i knew what was coming...

I can't really judge because every person have a different life path and needs. Nevertheless it's a very frustrating and difficult situation to deal with. I once been there, sold it but missed the car very much...So few years later i got another one.. Despite that i'm still struggling to fully enjoy it because here in Europe olders cars are not welcome anymore due to all kinds of regulation restrictions. In 2 years from now it will be banned and i won't be allowed to enter in any major cities anymore and this in all european countries..:bump:

I have no idea what future holds, things in this world is going all over the place right now.. i've had the same though again and that i should perhaps sold it yet again but boy...i feel i've not yet enjoyed this car as i would have love to and i've been there before already so i'm like, hey life, give me a god damn break..:banghead:

Despite that i'm still holding and trying to live my life the way i want it and not the way the system and governements try to dictate. This is i believe one reason why originality is long gone..

When kids will become adults and leave the house you will have free time again and then you will look around and say "where is my little cherry homie..!" :lawl:

A safe bet and ideal scenario would be to sell it to someone who will of course take care of the car and keep contact with the owner. So in case the person decide to sell it, you can still track where the car goes and so on. This way you can at least know who still is the current owner. The reason i'm saying this is in case were few years later you deeply regret and miss the car and decide to get it back. Who knows, perhaps the current owner will be willing to selling it to you at some point.. It's a little bit far stretched but you never know and a cost free option.

Whatever you end up with i hope you will make the right decision :console:

619rcr

Reaction score
@RedRyder, I can relate. I've had 3x 6th gen accords of which the remaining (01 coupe) has been with me 10 years. About two years ago I was looking for a newer ride for the wife which would make for 6 cars between the two of us. I pondered getting rid of the 6G then. But, like you said I knew no one would really value it like me. So, in the end I sold off two Acuras (07 TL type S 6 Spd and 03 CL Type S 6spd) and purchased a 18 TLX A spec. We're now down to 4 cars. The 6G stays parked in the garage next to the TLX. Not so much because its in great condition, but because I just don't value my beater 8GA daily or 00 prelude as much.

I've also been considering getting a 4WD/AWD Toyota, Acura or Honda SUV. But, the prices are insane. Anyways enough rambling... Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
The thought of letting this car go has entered my mind. I still enjoy driving it and it will always have a special place but I have started to feel like sentimentality is the main reason I am holding onto it, and with the changes in my life (age and practicality) I am not sure that is good enough a reason to keep it anymore. The thought of having something else that's just as enjoyable and would better suit my lifestyle has been in the back of my head for a few months, and I'm thinking about what that might mean.

What's held me back from selling it thus far is (1) it is not going to be worth to anyone else what it is worth to me, and no matter what the actual value of it is I cannot consciously just give it away and still sleep at night. I realize this is not realistic but if you're reading this you probably know that in the 16+ years I have owned this car I have put an immeasurable amount of love, blood, and money into it and it is truly one of a kind. If I were to sell it would have to be to the right buyer in the right situation, I would want the car to go to a good home. (2) going hand in hand with #1, if I sold it is what I might get for it enough to outweigh the enjoyment I still have from it? (3) everything that this car is has slowly been going extinct in modern cars...coupes, manual transmissions, NA V6's, a driving experience that isn't overrefined, overall simplicity, etc. (4) I've always dreamed of fully restoring it one day, I personally think it's still a great looking car and would love to see it looking pristine. (5) it's reliable as hell.

BUT... I have to admit that having 4 cars would be a lot keep up with and do I really want to bother myself with that. I only have a 2 car garage so something's gonna be sitting out in the elements. There is also the fact that my wife can't drive stick and says she's too scared to learn, so out of the 3 cars we have she can only drive one which sometimes can be an issue when we have to divide and conquer with our kids. So having another car she could drive, and that I could haul everyone in too, would be nice.

With the way my life is now I feel if I were to get another car, or replace the Accord, it should ideally be a family hauler. As I alluded to we just have 1 vehicle that is capable of hauling the whole family, but I don't really enjoy driving it (wife's minivan haha). So I want something that can hold all 6 of us but still be enthusiast oriented, something you don't see constantly everywhere, something that is perhaps remotely fun to drive, and that will not break the bank. For me, that basically just leaves wagons, and wagons with a 3rd row are very hard to come by. Unless I want to drive a 90's Volvo or piece of Americana (which I don't :ugh:), that pretty much leaves Mercedes. Yes I know, I know, German car life. Bank broken, right? Well from the extensive research I've done, a 2008-09 E350 (S211) wagon is actually inherently reliable if you buy the right one and keep up with maintenance. A 2010-2012 (S212) is also not out of the question. I've joined forums, researched common issues, and found good parts sources, etc. Now is a wagon as practical as a minivan or SUV? Hell no, you're kidding yourself if you deny the absolute convenience/practicality a minivan provides. My wife loves to remind me of that haha. But alas I am an uncompromising car enthusiast and I like what I like, which means I am willing to accept a certain level of inconvenience/compromise a wagon might bring as opposed to something else.

And hey, if a station wagon is my midlife crisis car, then I'd say I'm not doing too bad! :lawl: Ok yes I would much rather have a supercharged V8 RWD monster E63 wagon, but waaay to much $$.

Anyway, there it is. A strange update to this thread, but admittedly selling this car is something I'm mulling over.
Woa.. Wasn't expecting this from you. But that's totally understandable, when you have four kids. For some reasons, I thought you had two kids.

Yea the coupe can definitely be a vintage by now, and it is truly one of a kind for sure. If it ever goes out to a different home, perhaps your relatives (didn't you say your brothers, or in-laws, are car guys?) could be a good way to a different home? Or, maybe selling it on the FB to the 6GA guys? How about renting a car space at a public storage facility, if you want to still keep it?

This is just my random feeling but, if you ever restored the paint job on the coupe, there could be a slight change in your mind that you might reconsider letting it go...

Indeed, it is a strange update over here lol. Not sure if the time is ticking, but I'm sure your coupe is patiently waiting for you to make a move... haha. Anyways, GL with your decision, and I still can't believe this is happening!

Back