'99 Accord broken into, column ripped up

Reaction score
Hello, folks.

Our '99 is a wonderful car - simple, sturdy, reliable. 150K km, barely broken in. And some idiot decided it was worth stealing last night. Tore off the bottom cover of the column, then the keyway, immobilizer ring, and associated bits. Likely tried turning it over with a screwdriver but the fact she was still there this morning indicates a non-start.

She's with my mechanic now. Have any of you had to "rebuild" after something like this? I assume if I get a fresh immobilizer, I'll need keys to match. Or can keys be programmed to the car afterward?

Have ordered a "Club", and am considering a supplementary blinking dash light because Genius was too dumb to note the one on the door. I'd like to wire a cutoff as per other threads here (fuel pump most likely). Have any of you tried wiring the cutoff to an existing switch? I'm thinking the power window lock switch might be a good candidate.

Open to ideas here. She deserves better than what she's getting, and I really don't want this happening again.

Thanks,

Dan

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Sorry to hear, people suck. In addition to the blinking light on the door panel, they missed the one on the radio as well.

I've not dealt with this personally, but have debated a cutoff switch before. When the car used to be parked outside I'd always disconnect something so it could not be started.

Low mileage car you got there, nice.

Reaction score
Thanks, mate. Just wish arseholes would leave her alone. We're already on our second catalytic converter thanks to the neighbourhood idiots.

Hopefully others chime in.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Thanks, mate. Just wish arseholes would leave her alone. We're already on our second catalytic converter thanks to the neighbourhood idiots.

Hopefully others chime in.
I recommend lowering the car, then no one can get under it! haha Part of the problem is that scrap yards should require some kind of proof of ownership before accepting catalytic converters people bring in off the street.

Some ideas I have heard are painting the converter with a few coats of brightly colored heat resistant engine block enamel or the like. Or engraving your name or "ASK FOR ID" something on it.

Mostly, it's just a shame this is even a conversation.

Check this out, if nothing else it's good for a laugh:

Last edited:
Back