Cat stolen!

cl206

Reaction score
https://imgur.com/a/uZJ87QG

Cat cleanly cut off and gone. 2000 lx v6 coupe with about 215,000 miles.

Not really urgent sorry but what do you guys recommend I do IF i want to save the car? open to all opinions. Ill try the DIY route first before considering a shop. Not even sure if it is worth it, sigh!

Quick question the car does start and of course the CEL light is on due to the oe sensor being cut and the cat being gone but can I still drive the car for a short distance like maybe 4 miles? if not how about into my garage (a few yards) so I can work on it?

also I am in NY so I am assuming I need a CARB and NOT an EPA cat?

THANKS!
Charlie

Last edited:

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
You can drive it like that with no issues. The 98-02 Accord ECU relies on the primary oxygen sensor to run the car. The secondary oxygen sensor is only used to monitor the airflow in the catalytic converter.

CARB only applies to Commiefornia.

Buy an aftermarket converter, the cost SHOULD be cheaper than the converters at a Muffler shop. Magnaflow brand is good. But, check with a muffler shop to verify they will install that aftermarket cat. After all, its New York state.

cl206

Reaction score
You can drive it like that with no issues. The 98-02 Accord ECU relies on the primary oxygen sensor to run the car. The secondary oxygen sensor is only used to monitor the airflow in the catalytic converter.

CARB only applies to Commiefornia.

Buy an aftermarket converter, the cost SHOULD be cheaper than the converters at a Muffler shop. Magnaflow brand is good. But, check with a muffler shop to verify they will install that aftermarket cat. After all, its New York state.

Hey Thanks! Turns out NY is a carb state so I do need to get a carb compliant converter and I went with a walker from Rock Auto b/c the magnaflow would have cost a few hundreds more.
I did find a guy who will weld the part in but any registered mech/shop in NY will not install/weld a non carb cat so carb it is. He does own a registered muffler shop.

I just need to drive it there (14 miles) when the parts come in. Also I just removed the primary/front OE sensor too from the front pipe (went easier than I expected lol) b/c I figure I might as well change both sensors while I am at it.

Now that I think about it, I will most likely install the new primary sensor when it comes in and then slowly drive to the shop.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Sorry about your luck. This problem won't be fixed until scrap yards take some accountability with buying stolen parts. There has to be some way to go about it so that rightful owners can still sell their scrap, but allow the scrapper to turn away thieves. Maybe link people's ID to cat sales, so it can be monitored how many cats they are bringing in to sell. Or if scrappers just don't take sawed off cats and require the whole exhaust pipe along with it or something. Or some variation on those ideas.

You can etch your vin on the cat, paint it bright yellow with high temp paint, bolt a plate over it, etc to try and deter people. Also try to park in a garage or well lit area if you can, but I get that's not always possible. Just a few ideas. Shame we have to have this conversation in the first place, really.

Anyway good luck moving forward!

cl206

Reaction score
Sorry about your luck. This problem won't be fixed until scrap yards take some accountability with buying stolen parts. There has to be some way to go about it so that rightful owners can still sell their scrap, but allow the scrapper to turn away thieves. Maybe link people's ID to cat sales, so it can be monitored how many cats they are bringing in to sell. Or if scrappers just don't take sawed off cats and require the whole exhaust pipe along with it or something. Or some variation on those ideas.

You can etch your vin on the cat, paint it bright yellow with high temp paint, bolt a plate over it, etc to try and deter people. Also try to park in a garage or well lit area if you can, but I get that's not always possible. Just a few ideas. Shame we have to have this conversation in the first place, really.

Anyway good luck moving forward!
RR, Thanks!!
We do have a garage to park and will start doing so. This car has been thru a lot the past year or so with so many things breaking and now this. There was a leak at the flanges (leading to a moderately loud rumble when driving around 40-70mph) so hopefully when this gets patched up, the cabin will sound a lot quieter. If so i would consider this a blessing in disguise lol!!! I will update for sure!

i feel like im one of the few posters still here haha

cl206

Reaction score
Update: Got it done on May 19th. CEL didnt go away for 15 miles so I cleared it myself but took about 50 miles for the ALL CLEAR. This car has taken a lot and won't back down! The front O2 sensor wasn't too bad to get out but I decided to change that too so new walker (carb compliant) cat and 2 new O2 sensors and some new pipe.
-Charlie
https://imgur.com/a/y6K56qe
https://imgur.com/a/LBExSE5

cl206

Reaction score
I just got mine stolen off a 07 Accord. Terrible.
Oh chit! Sorry my dude!
The cheapest fix (if out of pocket) is to get your own aftermarket cat (perhaps from Rockauto) and have someone weld it on. I should take a class in mig welding haha!

Remember in CA and NY and a few other states, the legal cat needs to be CARB compliant.
(But I do know people who have worked around this, sorry I am not one of those :) )

Back