Dare I say...

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
so ur saying the 22hp gain is in relation to your previous dyno(not the one when the cat was clogged)....to get to the diff of 66hp?

AFAccord

Reaction score
Yep, 66hp more than with the clogged cat.

22hp more than my previous dyno where the car was running optimally.

I've used high flow cats and test pipes before, but on a four-banger, they always result in a loss of low end and mid range power, and after gutting this one, it only furthered this theory. What i haven't done before, is added fuel and timing to the mix. This literally brings the car alive! Two days later, and I'm still beside myself. Every time I step on the throttle, it's a shock.

I've got a few more things lined up for the car over the next few weeks, including some runs down the 1/4 mile. If everything gets completed by the end of July, and things keep improving at the current pace, you guys MIGHT see an N/A F23 reach 200whp. :eh:

I'm saving the results for Import Alliance '08, so some of you better get it in gear, and be there to witness!

AFAccord

Reaction score
So a gutted cat is the way to go? Haha.

WITH PROPER TUNING, yes.

The thing didn't make a bit of difference on the butt dyno before he compensated with fuel and timing. We had the laptop hooked up for data-logging and real-time tuning. He entered some corrected values and hit the Enter button, and just a second later, I got a nice kick in the pants. :p

Last edited:

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
Awesome results...Will you be at IA Sat and Sun??? please say yes..i will only be there sunday..and i wanted to see you car and say hello..and maybe take some pics

AFAccord

Reaction score
how do u gut your cat and dont u get a CEL code?

Pull the cat off and stand it up in a bucket. Put a steel bar into it, and wrap a wet towel around the bar and drape it over the bucket. Then you just hammer away until you reach the bottom. Do it again until you can't feel anymore of the catalyst using the bar. Pull the bar out and grab the cat through the towel and just shake, shake, shake until it stops rattling. Then you can pull the towel off and check to make sure it's clear. The car is OBD1 swapped and doesn't look for the secondary sensor.

Awesome results...Will you be at IA Sat and Sun??? please say yes..i will only be there sunday..and i wanted to see you car and say hello..and maybe take some pics

Yep, I plan on arriving Friday evening, and leaving late Sunday. Definately want to meet up with the 6thgen guys. Everyone should sign up on the IA thread so we can start a little 'pot' of phone numbers and whatnot, just to be sure we don't miss the opportunity!

Last edited:

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
omg......i gotta gut mah cat. ill get mad horsepower

where mah knife at? Here kitty kitty kitty

Tx_Accord98

Reaction score
My cat is gutted too, and i used the spark plug non fowler trick to keep from getting check engine codes.

I didn't get the same gains, but acceleration was alot smoother.

Back