Very bad vibrations between 50-60 mph under load

iHazSnail

Reaction score
It def does sound like a bad clutch to me but according to your description, it could be a number of things causing this "ghost" of a problem.
If you are not looking for high performance mods in the future, you don't need an aftermarket clutch or none of that. Go with whatever is the cheapest way possible.

MikeyMike

Reaction score
word, clutch would do it.

look at it as the flywheel getting so hot that the clutch slips off and then the pressure plate tries to push it back on and get it to grab but it keeps slipping off, so your clutch is sitting there slapping against the flywheel....

INK DEMON

Reaction score
I have taken the car to a reliable shop, and was told that the vibrations are being caused by the axles. I then took the car to school and had my teacher check it out, he said the axles seemed fine, no free play in the joints, no obvious problems with the axles. So now I'm seriously starting to suspect the clutch as being the culprit. Maintenance on the tranny has been consistent with fluid drain/fills every 20-30k miles. So I guess my next shot is going to be checking the clutch.

INK DEMON

Reaction score
I've checked/had someone double check the tie-rod ends, ball joints, and wheel bearings for excessive play... Nothing abnormal, no free play in the wheels...

TACORICAN

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but were you able to find what caused the problem? Mine just started doing the same. I quickly crawled under and noticed from movement on the inner shaft.

INK DEMON

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect and old thread but I wanted to close the chapter on this problem. I just replaced the clutch, flywheel and axles and the problem is gone. The clutch was worn to about half of the thickness and the flywheel had hot spots on it. I went ahead and replaced the axles too while I was at it and now the problem is gone. I hope this helps someone. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Back