Want to do a coolant flush.

Adancito

Reaction score
Did a flush to my Accord. I actually upgraded to the new Blue coolant instead of using the green when I did my timing/water belt. Also replaced alot of other seals while I had her apart.

I used a flush kit, drained coolant, replaced with distilled water/flush kit, ran for 10 min. drained again, refilled with distilled water... did this two more times to get all the flush and green coolant out. re-filled with Blue honda coolant....

Don't care what any one says, Stick to OEM!! It's already mixed with distilled water. BTW, never put water from the tap in your car. Over time you will get mineral build up in your water jackets. Also, the prestone stuff is crap.. it's NOT a non-silicate formula that most/all newer cars require. The only non-silicate coolant you can buy is the Dex-cool used in GM cars. why do you need this? most newer autos engines (BMW, Honda, Toyota, Mercedes) have aluminium and plastic components. Over time the "low" silicate crap will break down these parts.. esp plastic in radiators. seen it with my own eyes on a BMW and Honda civic.

but hey, it's your ride.... do as you will... you only pay for quality once.

Damn..i didn't know that..I'm going to look into that.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Thats funny, Ive always used prestone coolant in all my cars in my 12 years of owning cars, one being owned for 8 years with almost 300k with no problems.

I use prestone in my datsun,bmw,lexus and toyota with no ill effects at all. In fact my wifes car has 60,000 miles on the same prestone coolant,I check the PH of the coolant once a year.....I agree to use distilled water, buy the 50/50 mixed or buy the coolant and goto the store, spend $2 and mix with distilled water yourself.

Ill let you know if I ever have headgasket problems because apparently prestone sucks...

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
Don't care what any one says, Stick to OEM!!
if using OEM stuff will let the OP or anyone else sleep easier, i agree.

there are places where third party stuff is good enough, and others where OEM will be better. i have generic green **** in my car but i wouldn't hesitate to convert to honda blue if the prestone or whatever brand caused something to break down outside the normal maintenance period.

Honda4Life

Reaction score
I hate to re-elaborate but to me it is something like this

a) I agree with Ryan and using generic sometimes

BUT

Coolant is not something that is changed every other month where that extra 6-10 dollar difference can add up it is changed 5 years later where that 10 dollars is sooooo minimal that you would really have to be a stickler for it to bother you

Get the coolant and save your money by not flooring your car/reving it at light/etc to save your money:thumbsup:

method5150

Reaction score
that's my attitude. You hardly ever do a coolant flush, might as well do it right the first time. Low-silicate formulas are like little beads that are supposed to clean the engine but end up breaking down plastic/aluminium components. mixing with tap water creates mineral build up and rust (also electrolysis ).. here are some images off a 94 civic that had a head-gasket leak.. we found out why once I took the head off. only had about 120,000 miles on it..
Picture108.jpg

Picture107.jpg

Picture103.jpg

had to make me go into my archives for those. look on the back of the cheap green stuff and it will say low-silicate formula. check out the back of the dex-cool coolant... will say meets standards for foreign cars~~ honda, toyota, etc....
I do agree, it's being anal.. but why not?

just my .02 cents.

Last edited:

shenaniganz08

Reaction score
i was going to post here about it just being anti freeze.. but that one picture really has me thinking that perhaps its a good investment to stick with OEM fluids...

well next car anyways haha

Revenuite

Reaction score
NO! DO NOT USE DEXCOOL.

Use only 50/50 Peak or Prestone or Honda Type II Blue Coolant. Distilled water when flushing the system.

It's been explained why some believe 50/50 peak or prestone should not be used...care to explain why you emphatically suggest dexcool should not be used?

One of these answers has to be right, lol.

Back