E-Brake On Under Acceleration

JBird

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

When I accelerate my e-brake light comes on and remains on for quite some time. It does this from every stop and any time I accelerate even slightly quick while moving. I have no idea what causes this... does anyone have any insight?

The car is a '98 V6 auto. Thanks!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Check your brake fluid level.

Is there any change in your brake pedal feel?

Last edited:

JBird

Reaction score
I'll take a closer look at the fluid when I take my lunch break today, thanks.

The pedals have no change in feel and the brakes work great.

INK DEMON

Reaction score
I would start by checking the fluid as someone already suggested. If fluid level is ok, then remove center console and check the hand brake sensor to make sure it's not making premature contact before the hand brake is applied

Chris Vu

Reaction score
:O I have the exact same thing going on ! Sometimes it goes away if I wiggle the E-Brake.

Not sure if it's related, but 4cyl 5spd

twofast4u

Reaction score
this only happens to me on really cold days. I just sprayed the calipers where the cables attach, then its fine for abit.

jwong512

Reaction score
Most likely you're low on brake fluid. Our reservoirs have a sensor that turns on the brake light whenever it dips below a certain level of fluid. If your fluid is burnt, I would highly recommend flushing it out as topping it off would only be a temporary fix if your fluid is already burning.

INK DEMON

Reaction score
My homie's Accord was doing this. We squared it away last week. We adjusted the parking brake cable and it went away. Make sure you don't have too much play in the lever. If you do then adjust your parking brake

Back