Amp fried alternator or just a coincidence?

CG6>YourCar

Reaction score
Did you run a "remote cable" to the back of the radio? Also, does the amp have any lights? If it does, turn on the radio, turn off the car, look into the trunk and see if the light stays on.

I'm running a Kicker Solo-Baric L5 12" with a Rockford Fosgate 801s <-- real power hungry amp, I have to turn off my radio as insurance to make sure the beast stays OFF!

:) hopefully that helped or gave you some insight.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
just a side note. i've also heard that odessy alternators work well with people who have large stereo systems. just a fyi. i dont knoe if you knew that already. just stickin that out there. :p

CG6>YourCar

Reaction score
just a side note. i've also heard that odessy alternators work well with people who have large stereo systems. just a fyi. i dont knoe if you knew that already. just stickin that out there. :p

Really? I might go get me one then. 2 farad capacitor and still dim like crazy.. :doh:

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
OP do you have a voltmeter in your car? if so, were the volts fine before you put the AMP in or were they below normal?

meximan16

Reaction score
Check your battery terminals, they could be cracked, the oddessy alt for v6, or get a napa amp 105amp for a a 4cyl

Macsrule15

Reaction score
thanx for the replys everyone! i am not a car electronics noob lol i know what im doing and have been doing it for years

battery was purchased straight from interstate battery distribution center near me.. manufacture date was 12/2011 and i purchased it 1/12 so it is technically 2 months old.. sorry lol

battery and alternator were working fine before install voltages were fine (voltages still are technically fine..)

yes i am fuzed off the battery 4AWG to a 150A fuze then back to the amp 4AWG ground about 2 ft long to a sanded bare metal piece of sheet metal the amp is wired perfect

i took a light bulb tonight to test for a short what i did:
took a light bulb disconnected the ground cable and put the light bulb IN between the battery terminal and the cable the light bulb lit up like a christmas tree when the car should have been using NO to little power (IE: the clock) so this shows me there is a short in the system tomorrow i am going to disconnect the alternator and see if it persists i believe a DIODE has fried in the alternator letting current draw back through the alternator

i have come to the simple conclusion the amp has to be fine because it has fault protection.. if anything was going wrong with the amp it would go into protect mode

the new amp must have put a already failing alternator into a higher state of generation than it was used to and fried the ****er haha

Macsrule15

Reaction score
i just threw a replacement on from a local shop for 75 bucks.. no big deal i guess.. just was REALLY strange

the new alt has a 1 year free replacement too.. so thats nice lol

Back