why are so many mechanics so bad?

intel0116

Reaction score
$600 for labor? I would've changed them for you and charged you $200 and a pizza.

yeah it sucks but its 8 hrs x what ever the shops hourly rate is..... i hate that stupid book....
lmao for 200 bucks and a pizza i say f the warrenty and have you do it, to bad your not in socal tho

Brad2274

Reaction score
i just did all my v6 mounts, takes a couple hours, but the tranny mounts are tricky without moving the engine or subframe in the v6 so i understand why youd have a shop do it

BoyBlue

Reaction score
I went to college for mechanic and I shyt you not, the first thing they taught us was how to make your money by scamming the customer in a way you can't get in trouble for....it's messed up lol my car has never seen the dealership lol, I have the best mechanic :) no scams, gets the work done for a good price hehe

not sure what college you went to but thay sucks. The college I went to has an ethics class built in the automotive program that you have to take. As for I work at a dealership (not a honda one) but we have to do a "muti point inspection" on any car that comes in. I know most dealerships do this. It depends on the honesty of the tech what is put on the inspection sheet. I can't speak for all dealership tech but I look at the car as if my mother was the one driving it.

Mikey

Reaction score
Private shop or dealer. A good mechanic is an honest mechanic. And an honest mechanic doesn't charge to redo something they didn't get right the first time. And them knowing that will keep them most likely to get it right the first time, every time.
This.

/thread.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I went to college for mechanic and I shyt you not, the first thing they taught us was how to make your money by scamming the customer in a way you can't get in trouble for....it's messed up lol my car has never seen the dealership lol, I have the best mechanic :) no scams, gets the work done for a good price hehe

I'll wait for a pm on who that might be.

SomethingRandom

Reaction score
Always, always, helps to talk to friends, ask for recommendations, I lucked out when I moved to town, found a good mechanic right away, great rates, and most of the time if it's not major work, he doesn't charge for labor on the premise that when I recommend him to friends/family, it builds his reputation as a good mech. as well as bringing in more business.

Personally, I find it really helps if you self diagnose before going to a private mechanic, if you can ID the problem and express exactly what work you want done, its easier to eliminate the "well, we recommend" conversations. Also does not hurt to let them know you are mechanically inclined, in my experience, they treat you with more respect and actually do a good job the first time if you make a point of letting them know the only reason you are there is because you do not have the time/space/specialty tools to do it yourself.

For the record, the only reason I ever head to the local stealership is for OEM parts I cannot get elsewhere.

Back