car steering left when slowing down + MTF + fwy/hwy noise

Jimsun

Reaction score
My friend drove my car and pointed out that when pressing the brakes half way to full, the steering wheel would turn to the left up to 60 degrees. Is this am alignment, tire balance, and/or power steering issue?

Also, how would a manual tranny sound like when it has less than 2 qrt of MTF?
I remember that there was a lot of MTF that drained when i initially did a drain and fill. I put in about 2 qt or 1.8 due to the spill when closing the fill bolt.

Finally, when driving pass 70 MPH/115 KMH, The car would be loud and there's a little constant vibration. This is around and anywhere pass 3k rpm with or without pressing the gas.

anyone have any ideas?

I ran the seafoam in my intake + gas. There is no leak in my exhaust manifold, flex pipe or anywhere except the muffler. I'm planning on changing the plugs when the gas is almost empty (or should I just changet he plugs after the white smoke is gone? I just want to add that my spark plugs are less than 20 days old *ngk plat*)

Any input would be greatly appreciated
I'm planning on balancing my tires and doing an alignment @ Level Auto or Level Alignments in hopes to diminish the noise

Thanks in advance
Jameson
01 sedan f23a4

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
The stopping I would think is more of an uneven braking issue rather than alignment. However, the vibration at certain speeds is your alignment. Most likely outward toe. I would say get an alignment and go from there with the braking.

Also, my car brake sorta to the left as well but not nearly that extreme. Hardly noticeable really.

LeAccord

Reaction score
I think the car steering to the left would be caused by uneven braking.. your left pad gets more contact than the right.

Is the vibration in the steering wheel?

I get quite a tug to the left on the steering wheel when i go over dips and bumps on the left wheel.. I haven't had the car aligned though .. bit different to your case but alignment is most likely cause..

kn0x47

Reaction score
your front right brake caliper has seized. you either need to rebuild it or buy a new one. for the mtf, you just put as much in as you can. dont worry if its not exactly 2 quarts. i'm not sure about your vibration issue but an alignment and a rotate and balance is a good place to start

Jimsun

Reaction score
The thing is that it doesn't happen everytime. However I suppose it's about to happen. Is it better to replace or to fix the seals etc?

Also, if I have a bad stabalizer link, would doing an alignment before fixing the stabalizer link uselesS?

001Stunna

Reaction score
The thing is that it doesn't happen everytime. However I suppose it's about to happen. Is it better to replace or to fix the seals etc?

Also, if I have a bad stabalizer link, would doing an alignment before fixing the stabalizer link uselesS?

A swaybar link will not affect your alignment.
As for the steering swaying when braking...id go with a brake caliper or brake component issue.

Edit: Get your tires/wheels rebalanced and make sure they're all at the correct psi(checked when cold). Follow up with an alignment at LevelAuto since you're probably close by there and see if the issue persists. More the likely worst case you'll need to replace the caliper thats sticking.

Last edited:

RobS763

Reaction score
Sounds like a caliper issue as far as slowing down, i would get a violent vibration from it too before it got bad. I also had issue where the driver axle seized in the carrier bearing and caused a shake, possibly worth checking out

Jimsun

Reaction score
Ahh ok. Thanks guys. I plan doing this on tuesday as this is my next day off. I'll keep you guys updated regarding the brakes and the vibration

Btw, is it better to buy a used or a new caliper? What's the price dif and also is there a brand i should look for other than oem?

Back