HIDs on passenger side won't turn on, affecting high beams

DYEL

Reaction score
This is the v6 2001 Accord Sedan. I have HIDs installed in both lows and highs (yeah...I know). So two separate ballasts on both sides, 4 ballasts total. No relays. The lows on the passenger side recently has been flickering and dying when I start them up. When this happens, the high beams also don't turn on, even though they are separate bulbs, 9006 and 9005. Am I missing something here? Why do they affect each other? Is it possible that Accords don't have enough juice to start up 4 ballasts? Are the highs even getting power when just the lows are turned on? Sorry, I'm not good with cars and I'm confused.

Simkid5614

Reaction score
Replace with the high side from the drivers. Sometimes they don't have specific tabs, Or swap driver and passenger and see if the problem follows or changes. If it does, Bad ballast. Order from TRS or a replacement on ebay.

gt58

Reaction score
i have 35w 6k's on my hi and low beams. they work fine together. i use them when im in the mountains and canyons, but turn the hi's off of course when cars are in their visible path.

re check all the connections

001Stunna

Reaction score
This is the v6 2001 Accord Sedan. I have HIDs installed in both lows and highs (yeah...I know). So two separate ballasts on both sides, 4 ballasts total. No relays. The lows on the passenger side recently has been flickering and dying when I start them up. When this happens, the high beams also don't turn on, even though they are separate bulbs, 9006 and 9005. Am I missing something here? Why do they affect each other? Is it possible that Accords don't have enough juice to start up 4 ballasts? Are the highs even getting power when just the lows are turned on? Sorry, I'm not good with cars and I'm confused.

Why are you using HIDs in your highbeams??? Its pointless and you're just asking for trouble.

The flickering means your ballasts are going bad or they're not getting enough power from your cars stock wiring. If you want to keep being "different" get two relay harnesses and wire them straight to the battery for power. If you're using sh1t ballasts though...well you get what you pay for.

DYEL

Reaction score
Why are you using HIDs in your highbeams??? Its pointless and you're just asking for trouble.

The flickering means your ballasts are going bad or they're not getting enough power from your cars stock wiring. If you want to keep being "different" get two relay harnesses and wire them straight to the battery for power. If you're using sh1t ballasts though...well you get what you pay for.

I didn't do my research before I went to a shop that does HID installs. They convinced me to get HID high beams. The shop has an lifetime warranty on bulbs and ballasts though, so isn't it ultimately their loss if my high beam bulbs burn out prematurely?

I switched the high and low ballasts on the passenger side and it didn't seem to make a difference. Could mounting location be a factor? The ballasts are mounted above the headlights right underneath the hood. The wires are dangling everywhere and the plastic covering the ballasts are fraying as if they are being melted.

DYEL

Reaction score
i have 35w 6k's on my hi and low beams. they work fine together. i use them when im in the mountains and canyons, but turn the hi's off of course when cars are in their visible path.

re check all the connections

3 questions:
You don't have any flickering? You're not using relay harnesses? Where are your four ballasts mounted? My drivers side ballasts are mounted below the plastic housing near the battery, and my passenger side ballasts are mounted above the headlights.

gt58

Reaction score
3 questions:
You don't have any flickering? You're not using relay harnesses? Where are your four ballasts mounted? My drivers side ballasts are mounted below the plastic housing near the battery, and my passenger side ballasts are mounted above the headlights.

no flickering, no issues at all, ever, for 4 years.

yes 4 ballasts

driver side i have them stacked on top of each other. passenger side is stuck to the side of battery tray.

Back