Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 10/28/13

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 2/9/13

Going to finish the wiring in the trunk and putting everything together for it to run. Then move it to the new house this weekend to have it closer to me to tinker with until the tune.

Plan is to buy new tires in the next month and tune when the weather changes and E85 is back to the summer mix.

Between this project, buying/building a new house, moving (and all purchases that come with a new house), and buying an engagement ring, it's moving slow, but still tracking towards early spring tune.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

So,

Having some trouble getting the car started. Wired the relocated battery as follows:

- Negative goes about 12" at most away from the battery to a ground down bare metal section and sheet metal screwed down onto the trunk floor on the drivers side using below and 4 gauge wire:
gt02p.jpg

- Positive runs from the battery (tied to the positive side is the fuel pump and 1 amp) through the cabin to the engine bay using 0 gauge wire to a distribution block:
shd21.jpg

- The starter and fuse box main power wires (stock) and everything else (MSD Ignition) run into the distribution block from the engine bay.

- I bought all new battery connectors so that shouldn't be the issue either.

All interior lights, all power, amp, fuel pump, and everything work just fine. When I go to turn it over the starter doesn't move or anything and everything just "clicks". Occasionally I can get the starter to do a half-a** rotation, but that's all. Nothing more.

Do you think it's the fuse in the starter line or possibly just need to replace the starter power cable with a new 4 gauge power cable and see if that does the trick?

I checked the starter signal fuse on the drivers side and that's okay. Could it be the relay somewhere?

The starter is the only thing not getting power, everything else is correctly, so I have to assume the ground is more than sufficient, it's just not enough power is getting to the starter to turn the car over. Any thoughts? It's the only thing I need to get it going (besides tires) for the tune....

hotaccord243

Reaction score

Well I think I figured it out, forgot to re-ground the engine itself. We'll give it a shot tomorrow and see what happens.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

Well,
Got a little further last night, but ran into some snags. Got one grounding cable off the front part of the engine between the motor and front motor mount grounded to the chasis and both sides were ground down to clean bare metal. Got another few grounding connectors in copper to do another 4-gauge ground off somewhere else on the block to the chasis.

Also, re-installed the wires so they sit better in the distribution block.

When I was re-connecting the starter wire both the power bolt and nut snapped off the starter, so I ordered a contact replacement kit for my starter so I am able to "re-build" the starter to be able to re-install and connect the power wires (Should arrive tomorrow evening).

Hopefully after two grounding points off of the motor (on bare metal), and better connection to the distribution block it should be able to start (I would hope) and then on to tires.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

Here's some photos of the work so far:

Here's the starter with the broken long bolt at top, and the power copper stud that snapped and is outside and sitting on the starter (Those are the new ones that are coming on Wednesday and tomorrow)
IMAG0304_zps251ad400.jpg

Here's one of the distribution block all connected up and where one of the ground is on the chasis.
IMAG0303_zpsa8ba2a71.jpg

Here's the other side of the ground on the motor behind the front motor mount bracket bolt
IMAG0302_zps0c1fdf1b.jpg

Here's the other ground on the strut tower support nut and running to the intake manifold:
IMAG0301_zpsbba3c33c.jpg

not the cleanest work i've done... but it'll get the job done. I've decided more functionality over engine bay appearance. Too much work.

I would think with these two grounds off the motor to the chasis with 4-gauge wire that should do the trick no problem, plus another ground off the battery in the trunk.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

So fixed the starter tonight, reconnected the battery, and tried cranking it, MUCH better response. The starter cranked at almost full power, but didn't turn over and run. My guess its that out is either 1 of 2 things. Its either the power wire (0 gauge) not bring a good enough cable or the battery is too worn out. Got it hooked up to a charger/maintainer to.see what it does tomorrow. Any opinions/thoughts?

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score

Any more updates? Im curious to see other peoples relocation.
I did mine,but it caused me to go through 2 alternators and battery's for all the extra strain. Summit racing kit also,so wasn't a cheap one.So I took it off and sold it.
The engine bay sure looks good with no battery tho.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

There are actually updates, just wasn't getting any input on anything so I stopped updating for a bit.

When I re-routed the power wires straight to the starter (basically eliminating the distribution block) I also re-worked the battery connections at the battery themselves. The battery connection wasn't sliding on the post very well so I gave it a light tap to get it on further, and the post went inside the battery.

So in other words the battery was toast and I wasn't even able to try it.... ugh.

I ordered a yellow top optima battery on amazon and it should be here on the 18th (Monday of next week). As soon as I recieve it, I will hook it up and try it. My guess is the resistance was too much off the distribution block and not allowing the starter to get enough power, so I eliminated it.

I'm even thinking about re-wiring the alternator to get a better charge as well, but that may be down the road yet. More to come soon!

hotaccord243

Reaction score

So a little bit of an update (not much) Got the new Optima Yellow Top battery yesterday, hooked up the negative cable, but the positive terminal is too small to fit on the positive side of the battery. So instead of forcing it on I ordered another positive terminal with a distribution block on it from amazon. That will be delivered on Wednesday and should be able to start it right up.....

Now I don't need a battery box which is nice due to the dry cell battery, just need to build a cage for it to hold it in place.

Here is what I ordered:

41i6YobljiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Has (1) 0 gauge (1) 4 gauge and (2) 8 gauge wires which i'll use the 0 for the main power line, 4 gauge for the 4 channel amp and an 8 gauge for the fuel pump. Should help organize a little bit on what is going on in the trunk.

More to come Wednesday. Hopefully it warms up so it will start a little easier as right now I believe it's just above 5 degrees above 0....

9450erick

Reaction score

im still interested in this build. been looking at every update just havent been posting lol u have some bad luck man. damn like everything that could go wrong went wrong lol but keep it up man the progress is nice! cant wait to see some new numbers!

Back