Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 10/28/13

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 3/21/13

I am just running normal pump gas 91octane.Is it a simple fix? I didnt have the issue with version1 EMS. But when I went to get it retuned it was doing this when I picked it up.

-Also does your throttle have a lag when using EMS? Notice it has a hesitation when I press the gas and kinda a stumble. Sorry for putting this in your thread.

Hey! I can definitely help you out, I've dealt with both its just the warm up enrichment take and throttle set up. Shoot me a PM and I'd be glad to help you out!

To answer your question tho, yes pump gas and e85 are polar opposites when it comes to winter/cold starts. E85 is significantly harder top work with in winter hence winter and summer mixes. Good question tho for sure! Shoot me a Pm and ill help you out!

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 3/25/13

Alrighty- Starts AND stays running! However, immediately after running for about 30seconds I heard a weird sputtering noise. So I got out checked out underneath the car and saw oil coming out of its a** and a puddle practically the size of half the car. I shut it off immediately.

Spent about an hour cleaning everything up, and found the source of the issue. It was the turbo oil feed line spewing oil. A spark must of arched from the starter all the way to the oil feed line and cut a hole in it. Took it out, physically blew into it and saw bubbles in it.

So, problem/issue solved. New oil feed line ordered (with an extra foot to route around the starter instead of on top of it). In the mean time i'm going to re-work the wires heading to the starter to better protect it from arcing. Possibly re-work it to use a distribution block so I can use the OEM rubber seal that goes around the starter wire/bolt to prevent any future "accidents".

But, found out that I did everything correct though on the positive side! :beer2:

9450erick

Reaction score

hopefully nothing internal got damaged! but it was idling so i doubt it! keep the updates comin!

AFAccord

Reaction score

That's crazy man! So it was likely the starter keeping it from turning over? Just be glad it didn't ignite that puddle of oil under the car! Sheesh!

hotaccord243

Reaction score

hopefully nothing internal got damaged! but it was idling so i doubt it! keep the updates comin!

Shouldn't have anything damaged, turbo still spins just fine, oil is still left in the pan (talk about a convincing way to force an oil change though....). It only ran for about 30 seconds top while warming up. After about 10 seconds, I got out, stood at the engine bay, and then saw oil start coming out like mad, so I ran to turn it off right away.

While it was running, there was no knock or anything un-ordinary coming from the engine, so I'm thinking everything is fine and I caught it in time thank god. Just kind of a freak thing I think.

That's crazy man! So it was likely the starter keeping it from turning over? Just be glad it didn't ignite that puddle of oil under the car! Sheesh!

It was all the starter that kept it from cranking the motor. After playing with the extra fuel vs coolant temp table (for the cold start), the extra decay versus coolant temp to keep the fuel up during cranking, and warm up enrichment table to keep the idle up during warm up, that is what was causing it not to start at under 30* with e85 in the tank. I'm very glad nothing exploded or caught on fire!

So, a little longer -3an oil feed line has been ordered to route around the starter (to prevent this from happening once again), I'll buy oil and filter today for the now needed oil change :lawl: and also probably re-work the power cables to the starter by flipping them reverse to each other (power and fuse box terminals) and use a battery terminal cover to prevent any spark or anything arcing to anywhere and causing another issue. I'll take photos of the wiring re-work after i'm done.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

Alright, another update --

- Oil has been drained, changed, and filter was also changed.
- Installed the 6-8" longer turbo oil feed line just a bit ago (got it with a black outer cover to help prevent the last disaster from happening again and routed it away from the starter:
IMAG0325_zps7c45820e.jpg

- Also modified the stock rubber boot for the stock starter wire to accomodate now (2) wires and electrical taped the living hell out of it too:
IMAG0324_zps0e0803d4.jpg

The engine bay overall shot after everything was done MUCH cleaner and more room!
IMAG0326_zpsdff4862f.jpg

Great news too! Car takes a little bit of cranking (needs minor adjustments still) but runs great and no oil leaks (again)! Forgot how fast the car was and how much fun boost is! Couldn't get any traction whatsoever with shot tires and cold pavement but still fun!

Battery works just fine, starts great, and no sparks (we'll just have to see after a while if the alternator is powerful enough to re-charge the battery and if stock wiring is enough for this setup.... only time shall tell.

Just a few last steps to go:
- All new tires
- Alignment
- Tune time :rock:

hotaccord243

Reaction score

So, thought I would share that ALOT has been going on lately which has caused the slow progress on finishing this project for just a bit. I'm almost ready to buy some new tires for the car and go for an alignment. Then i'll be ready for tune time!

Since February, I have:
- bought/built a brand new house
- moved into the house
- Bought gutters
- bought a water softener system
- Now working on buying a new irrigation system for the house
- Recently got engaged to my gf of 5.5 years :D
- Replacing tie rods and getting an alignment tomorrow on the winter car (99
Audi A4 v6).

It's been a lot of financially demanding things going on, so bear with me as i'm almost there! Still getting used to all the changes and trying to fix my winter DD (as it's still cold here in MN and summer e85 mix is still not out) until I get the Accord prepped for the big re-tune!

More to come soon!

hotaccord243

Reaction score

Well got the Audi outer tie rods done and alignment done. Should be buying tires within the next week or so and go for an alignment soon after that then i'm ready to go! Full force forward (after tax returns) :thumbup:

Pizzaman

Reaction score

damn you've been busy! congrats on your engagement and house :thumbup:

Back