Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement

finch13

Reaction score
Its a sensor with a little metal tab on it... I think its held in by only 2 bolts from what ive seen, but you will have to take the caliper and disc off.

If your caliper still has the screws in it, id use and impact screwdriver on them.

I'd look myself, but my accord doesn't have ABS

kn0x47

Reaction score
according to the honda manual you don't HAVE to take the caliper and disc off but it is right behind the disc. there is a metal tab and there are 2 screws to unscrew. there is a third screw higher up to take out of you're unplugging the whole harness thing. also it says to make sure you don't twist the wire when you put the new one on.

if you want the diagram PM me your email and i'll send it. its a very basic picture tho... the bolts are 6mm. they're torqued to 7.2 lb ft

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
according to the honda manual you don't HAVE to take the caliper and disc off but it is right behind the disc. there is a metal tab and there are 2 screws to unscrew. there is a third screw higher up to take out of you're unplugging the whole harness thing. also it says to make sure you don't twist the wire when you put the new one on.

if you want the diagram PM me your email and i'll send it. its a very basic picture tho... the bolts are 6mm. they're torqued to 7.2 lb ft

Shweet, thanks bud. PM'd.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Hey Knox, I PM'd you my email but haven't seen anything yet from ya. Just wondering when you think you can email me the info, thanks.

Also found out today the harness and sensor are attached, so you can't buy them separately. I didn't know if they were able to be individually replaced or not...but nope. Looks I'll be replacing the sensor.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
I have to replace my gf front right speed sensor on her 02 civic..and if our accords are like that year civic its all 1 unit that plugs into a connector that goes to the abs module.
Her actual wires are ripped apart on hers tho.

kn0x47

Reaction score
Hey Knox, I PM'd you my email but haven't seen anything yet from ya. Just wondering when you think you can email me the info, thanks.

Also found out today the harness and sensor are attached, so you can't buy them separately. I didn't know if they were able to be individually replaced or not...but nope. Looks I'll be replacing the sensor.

sorry man i had forgotten. i just sent it to you....my scanner doesnt work so i had to take a picture of it

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Bump from the dead. This has been somewhat of a *****, but it's done. Basically the old sensor was seized inside the hub, here's what happened.

I drove a flathead screwdriver in the hole next to the sensor and pryed most of it out. It broke apart and came off in pieces, and a looooong stand of copper wire. Then some of the sensor was stuck around the inner edges of the hub hole, so I had to scrape that out. Here's what was left of the sensor...

2012-03-31_16-49-25_282.jpg

Here's the hub hole...I had to grind out corrosion with a carbon steel wire wheel on my dremel to get the sensor to fit in again.

2012-03-31_16-50-19_334-1.jpg

Here's what the sensor is suppose to look like...

2012-03-31_16-53-53_284.jpg

Mounting sensor...

2012-03-31_16-57-03_902.jpg

Finished.

2012-08-10_20-22-28_943.jpg

2012-08-10_21-09-39_154.jpg

Just went for a drive and braked hard, I could feel the ABS working again. :)

Last edited:

4door accord02

Reaction score
Red Ryder how did you diagnose the sensor? Did you have a shop do it yourself? I'm trying to look for infor on how to? Thx

Back