Dinzdale40 Official Car Buildup Thread

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
No Finchy, he meant the S2K will be lowered, competing with what the Accord was at. :slap:

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I know it’s been quite a while but seriously I have not given up on this project. In fact I’m as determined as I was when I took the wheels off. Money was hella slow for the past year and is getting better. I have to save up a lot to get back to where I was, but parts/tools will be slowly coming in. My main hurdle right now is that I have a job and am too busy to grind on the car. I am working 40-45+ hours every week at my normal job plus I’m helping my wife with her side job. So after all that and having to take care of the house/yard finding time to work on it has been troubling, especially when I still haven’t fully recovered from being in the hospital last November. I feel normal people my age could do what I do and then stay up 2-3 hours extra a night and work on it, but I am dragging and have to rest so that I can focus at work. Also the occasional graduate school class isn’t helping either. I really am trying my hardest and am thinking up new ideas for the build daily.

I’m currently working on prepping the stripped chassis for the roll bar, stitch-welding, engine bay shaving. I’m trying to get all the OEM seam sealer cleaned out, but I’m not sure how far I want to go with it because I am not knowledgeable about chassis stuff and need some input on areas to concentrate on. A lot of this is cosmetic, but at the same time I want to expose a few seams where extra strength would be needed and stitch weld where it’s needed. I just kinda figure because I have the car stripped down and the point of this car is for it to be as light as possible it will need extra strength to lessen chassis flex.

I don’t really care to be done anytime soon, I love doing this and the longer it takes the more fun I will have. So if I end up acid dipping the car and stitch welding the whole shebang it wouldn’t hurt my feelings any. In fact if I can find a place that will do it and it feasibly priced I would prefer it.

A lot of you know this already but I thought I should go ahead and state it in here. I plan on continuing the light weight direction of the car with the motor itself and am tossing the whole V6 power plant metaphorically out the window. I would love to see someone do a turbo V6 with a reverse manifold because it would look badass and I know it’s possible, but just because I have an idea doesn’t mean that I am going to put it on this car. The car is not meant to be the fastest or anything like that, it’s meant to be what I consider the best combination of parts in my favorite car. I want everything in the car to be logical and toward a specific direction. There may not even be a radio or anything. I kinda think a turbo v6 will be overkill for the balance of the car in terms of weight and power. Not to mention I prefer the look of a k20 in a 6ga bay any day over a v6. After thinking of every option I could do to the v6, I just still wasn’t happy with what it would be. So for now, I plan on putting a k20 in there. Since I’m kinda far from the point where I buy a motor though, this could still change if I think up something I like more.

True be known, by the time I get to put a motor in. I might be chroming the case of a 100lb brushless motor and using Li-ions as ballast around the car.

Next thing I am doing are the brake lines. I have a friend with a brake line bender and flare tool so I don’t have to buy those. I plan on buying some brake line to practice flaring and bending with. I’m not sure but I may have to invest in a better flare tool than the one my friend has. I want the lines to look OEM but I can’t use the pre-bent lines because I am hiding the lines and need to bend them so they can be hidden various places.

I was also going to make a sunroof plug, but with the level I am gonna do this. I might as well just weld it in. This way there will be no leaks. I still want to learn how to do fiberglass to make my own stuff but I dunno when I’ll have time to do that.

Anyways, tonight I started removing some of the sound deadener and the only pics I have for now to post are of that. Like I said…I wish I could go faster but some other things come first.

Here are some pics of me using the dry ice to freeze the sound deadening and pulling it up.

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_3035.jpg

IMG_3037.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

IMG_3039.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

this is my start at removing the seam sealer just to see what a ***** this is gonna be....OMG...it sucks...but it will take a LOT more work and I will make more headway once i figure out which welder I want to buy and all that...

IMG_2583.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Do your thing Danny. There is no right or wrong way to build a car, no time line, and the less pressure you feel, the more you enjoy it. That's why I love my old jag, it may never be done but i can wrench on it when I like and have fun with it.

I personally wouldn't figure out the motor until you have a good idea of what you want. Plenty of people love a great, go fast car, even if it doesn't handle. Other people don't mind reving the **** out of their car to save weight and have fun in the twisties. I like a car inbetween and you seem to be implying that with your choices but I would like a nice, smooth, powerful heavy car the same as a super light, high reving track beast, just in different ways. I know you arn't talking those extremes but yeah, build for yourself.

CHID0

Reaction score
Nice, glad to see you're back to work on the project.

Back