leaking oil

JDM_Rook

Reaction score
I noticed yesterday when i checked my oil dipstick, how low the oil level was..below the "low oil mark". I could see a small amount of oil leaking down from the valve cover bolt grommet, and possible the valve cover gasket as well, but didn't think it would account for such a large amount of oil loss over the course of 3000 interval oil change. There was also some oil on the backside of the engine. I am hoping it just needs a new valve cover gasket install. There was also a small pool of oil behind the timing cover. Could a warped head or bad head gasket cause oil to leak externally? I checked the coolant and it looked fine...full and no signs of oil.

hondaoil002.jpg

hondaoil005.jpg

hondaoil008.jpg

redlinevtec

Reaction score
When was the last time you had your seals changed? Or, when was the last time you had your TB changed? Your crank, cam & balance shaft seals should have been changed out. Maybe your balance shaft seal popped out because you don't have the retainer. Something not a lot of people know about. Try changing your valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals & re-torquing those head bolts.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Yes, a valve cover leak can be really bad. And bad enough to help you lose a qrt of oil. The seal becomes dry and cracks.

You may use rtv gasket sealent. Just make sure u let it sit about 5 min before attaching the valve cover. And then give it atleast 12hrs to cure before u get ur car all hot again.

You look like u have a pretty good leak there, i would make sure ur valve cover bolts are tight or the o-rings are not cracked.
Gl

finch13

Reaction score
It's also possible you're burning that much oil. My car had 0 oil leaks, yet every few weeks I'd find the dipstick below the low mark, **** happens.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
finch13 said:
It's also possible you're burning that much oil. My car had 0 oil leaks, yet every few weeks I'd find the dipstick below the low mark, **** happens.
Yeah, if u drive ur car hard. More oil will burn.

Its just a thing with older cars, some are leaky some burn a little oil. Just check once a week and top off as needed. Its all normal proceedure with older higher miles vehicles.

JDM_Rook

Reaction score
Well my engine was just rebuilt about 4 months ago with a little over 3000 miles on the engine since then. It defintely seems to be leaking from the valve cover gasket and grommets (over-torqued probably). The torque spec for the VC bolts are "86 in-lbs" or "7.2 ft- lbs". I don't have a torque wrench with low enough settings for this use. The local Sears has a Craftsmen 3/8 drive torque wrench rated at 5-80 ft lbs for $119.00. Do I have to purchase this to properly tighten the valve cover or could I just go by the feel of resistance when tighening down with a ratchet wrench?

sodaks2k

Reaction score
JDM_Rook said:
The local Sears has a Craftsmen 3/8 drive torque wrench rated at 5-80 ft lbs for $119.00. Do I have to purchase this to properly tighten the valve cover or could I just go by the feel of resistance when tighening down with a ratchet wrench?

You should be able to rent one from a parts store.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
sodaks2k said:
You should be able to rent one from a parts store.

Yeah, but u shud just have to tighten them down to snug and be fine. Start with the bolts inside and work ur way out. They probably rebuilt the engine but forgot to change the valve cover seals.

JDM_Rook

Reaction score

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I bought mine from napa. Pretty good quality, i reassembled an engine with it. The car runs fine, so the tool must be halfway decent. $89.99

Back