Explination of Camber

JayStuff

Reaction score
So, jgilley hit me up with some questions regarding tire wear so i decided Id make a thread explaining camber, how it works and correction methods.

Camber is NOT an issue with stock suspension cars but does become an area of focus past the 2 inch drop point.

So on our cars, the rear camber is the most effected by lowering. The front is pretty tolerant to drop considering I'm dropped past 3 inches and have not needed to correct my front camber. Rear camber is a different story.

When a car is lowered, the camber will naturally start to move in the negative direction. The lower the car goes, the more negative the camber becomes. If you're lowered a lot, your camber will become super negative.

Why is this bad? Well, negative camber will cause the tire to rest on a single side rather then flat causing the inside of the tire to go bald much faster then the outside. Tire life will be a major issue, especially with softer compounds.

How can this camber issue due to lowering be corrected? Its pretty simple actually. Its called a Camber Kit. These kits will replace the fixed control arm the holds the camber in the stock position with a new control arm the is adjustable, allowing you to change the angle of the wheel manually and to your liking.

We have two main brands of camber kits for our cars, Ingalls and Wicked Tuning. Both serve the same functions and are essentially the same product with different looks. I have Wicked tuning and have nothing bad to say about it but as I imagine, the Ingalls kit is probably just as good.

Hopes this helps anyone who is confused about Camber kits and needs clarification. If you're still confused, ask a question in this thread so we can avoid the "do i need a camber kit" threads.

JayStuff

Reaction score
unfortunately I don't think so but you should ask. haven't heard of one before but who knows.. i mean, my toe is pretty off right now but I haven't even taken it in for an alignment yet since im waiting on my new tires. I think camber kit will fix most of your problems.

acedomain

Reaction score
this should be sticky'd i was wondering the other day if a thread like this existed and didnt want to bother ppl to explain camber with out doing the research first....

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
caster is not the same as camber, it is on a diagonal plane.

and i'm kinda surprised by the OP's answer to aftermarket toe kit.... ummmm, why?? It's already adjustable.

Back