Strange rattling noise

swollen_cu

Reaction score
Hey guys I have 4cyl sedan and I am experiencing a rattling noise coming from my exhaust system. When I'm just cruising at low rpms (1500-2000) i hear this rattling noise, like a broken catalytic converter. All the exhaust bolts are tight and no hangers are broken. Also, when I rev it up around 500rpms above idle, there is a rattle also.

If it is the cat, hopefully it's not, what option should i choose?

1. OEM replacement
2. Megan Test pipe/resonator with deflouler trick
3. Magnaflow replacement.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
it will probably be the cat. mine does it too. if youre lucky its just the heat shield on the cat. check that. if its not that, its the cat for sure.

how many miles are on your car?

swollen_cu

Reaction score
it will probably be the cat. mine does it too. if youre lucky its just the heat shield on the cat. check that. if its not that, its the cat for sure.

how many miles are on your car?

When i get some time , maybe later on in the week ill put it on a lift and check the heat shield out. i have 127k on my car.

mrvtec

Reaction score
mmmm most likey the cat. thats about the same millage my cat gave out, and chunks were fly out the exhaust

swollen_cu

Reaction score
mmmm most likey the cat. thats about the same millage my cat gave out, and chunks were fly out the exhaust

haha holy **** ! well im just gonna go the cheap route and get a test pipe and do the 02 defouler trick so i dont get a CEL

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
yea man, with that high of mileage, its def the cat itself. the one on my car now makes noise, and the one on my old accord started going out at about the same mileage im at now, 110k.

stanleybb50

Reaction score
Dang... Mine just started doing this.. the heat shield is nice and tight but theres an awful like "broken pieces" rattling sounding like they're coming from inside the car and i got a cel...

anyone know a good place to get a CAT? Can I install myself, or does it need welded prolly...?

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
thats the one i was going to get to replace my old dead cat. but i ended up replacing it sooner than i had thought, and got one from napa for cheaper than that. i know with the napa one i got i had to get the gaskets that came with it too, since they werent like the oem ones. but it works fine.

Back