V6 HID ballast placement

Marino3.0Coupe

Reaction score
For those with the 3.0L engine, where did you mount your ballast in the engine bay?

I though about drilling holes and mounting the left ballast to the airbox. And I have yet to make a decision on the passenger side. Honestly, I did look at the space for very long because it was right before I had to go to work, but I did note that there wasn't anything that I really wanted to drill into or directly ziptie it to.

The other question I had was about removing the left side headlight bulb. Do I just need to remove the 2 black plastic pop-rivets, and then I'll be able to access the back of the assembly?

Thanks in advance.

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
I originally had mine mounted down behind the bumper on each side, but moved them due to me doing some testing with my retrofit.

For the drivers side, you are correct pull out the two plastic pop-rivets and then pull up on the cover and the bottom peg should come out of the hole fairly easily.

Marino3.0Coupe

Reaction score
Nice and easy. Thanks.

Is there anything behind the bumper to attach them to? Like the core support? Something with a nice flat surface.

Last edited:

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
Been a while since I've looked but I know on the passenger side I had one mounted to a bolt that was holding the washer tank on..

On the drivers side think there was just a bolt chilling in about the same area as the passenger side so I mounted it there

Marino3.0Coupe

Reaction score
Thoroughly ****ing pissed... The sylvania bulb guide says that my headlight is a 9006 style bulb. So I'm pulling everything out, and having a ****ing time trying to decide where I want to put the ballast.

Anyways, long story short; I got one bulb to snap in, but the other was pretty loose. Every time it would snap, I could jiggle it loose. So after ****ing with this for a good bit of time, I finally shook my head in disbelief. Then I saw the bottom of the bulb sitting on top of my engine cover, and the bottom read HB4...

Oh god was I ****ing mad...

Marino3.0Coupe

Reaction score
I thought of that, but they looked as tight as they could go. I didn't try to tighten them though... **** me! I'll try again after work.

swollen_cu

Reaction score
Marino3.0Coupe said:
I thought of that, but they looked as tight as they could go. I didn't try to tighten them though... **** me! I'll try again after work.

Did yu try and tighten the 3 Phillip head screws that hold the bulb in? I had to do that with mines.

Marino3.0Coupe

Reaction score
Nah. I thought they were all the way down. I'm gonna try again after work. And take my time, so karma doesn't bite me in the ***.

Back