Center Console Gaugepod D.I.Y.

Snoobly

Reaction score
So i've seen a couple of people who have mounted their gauges in the center console and i decided i like that. its not an obvious location unless your in the car. It took me a little bit to plan out how everything would go and decided to take some pictures :D hope this helps people out. oh and anything you do using this DIY is not my responsibility. Thanks for looking!

Tools needed/recommended
-glue (i used rubber cement)
-some sort of solid plastic ( i used a tub)
-scissors
-inside diameter of 2 inches PVC pipe
-brackets
-2(3/8) inch hole saw

here is the tub i used. cost like $2.50 at walmart. easy to cut with scissors
101_3654.jpg

I started by measuring the cubby and it comes down to around 3.5 or 4 inches. make sure you measure everything out. i did it a couple days ago so i forgot a lot of the dimensions

next i drew the shape on the tub and cut it out. i didn't cut directly on the line because i wanted plenty of plastic to support it while drilling out the holes. The plastic is not the most durable and doesn't have much give. also i put masking tape on the otherside while drilling out the holes for even more support for the plastic.
this picture is the piece cut out of the tub, both gauge holes already drilled.
112100_174900.jpg

i used a 2.5 inch hole saw because Lowes didn't have 2(3/8) inch in stock.

i grabbed my hot glue gun and PVC pipe and temporily glued it where i wanted it.

next i grabbed some spare metal laying around and fabricated it into some homemade brackets.
112100_191300.jpg

glued them on using the rubber cement
112100_222100.jpg

Don't be shy with the rubber cement. dump it on.

Let it sit for several hours to dry.

next, if you used the tub's lip to make it look smoother like i did, make sure you trim it so it doesnt get in the way of the ledge in the cubby. its about a 1/2 inch cut.
112100_222900.jpg

i made a little bit of a drop down piece to cover up any PVC or wires hanging around under the Gaugepod. i think its about 1.5 inches. this picture shows that and i rattle canned it.
101_3659.jpg

last since i cut my holes a tad large i needed to cover up the obnoxious gap. i used some adhesive foam stuff that you can find in the crafts section of your nearest arts and crafts store for about 99 pennies.
101_3660.jpg

lastly i rattle canned a second coat and installed it. yes there is only one gauge right now. haven't decided/bought another one yet:)
101_3663.jpg

Sorry for the crappy phone pics.
Thanks for looking! feel free to question and/or recommend ideas!

00AccordGuy

Reaction score
I like the idea, i have been thinking of doing for this for quite some time. However I think id use some sturdier materials. But props to you, looks not too bad for a small price :beer:

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
if only i had things i wanted to guage..and i dont know how to hook guages up and all that jazz. good writeup however nice job

Snoobly

Reaction score
I like the idea, i have been thinking of doing for this for quite some time. However I think id use some sturdier materials. But props to you, looks not too bad for a small price :beer:

Thank you! Just to let you know the plastic is plenty strong, it's just when working with it that can be sketchy. Cracking it while sawing out the holes was what was most difficult but mine sawed out great.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Very creative, planning on wrapping or painting the plastic or leaving it black?

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
i like it alot. i have bee planning something similar to your design for the past few weeks

Good job

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
The foam kills it IMO, but you have the right idea.

Good job for trying it out and designing it yourself. :thumbsup:

00AccordGuy

Reaction score
Thank you! Just to let you know the plastic is plenty strong, it's just when working with it that can be sketchy. Cracking it while sawing out the holes was what was most difficult but mine sawed out great.

Ah I get what you mean. I was thinking of making a mold and casting a solid fiberglass piece for it.

Ive always wondered how easy is it to read the Carbon Fiber Gauge? Cause from the picture it looks kinda difficult

Back