Interior Overhaul ~ 6/18 Update

Brad2274

Reaction score
(update) got the rear charcoal covers from allgonoshow, spent like 3-4 hours reupholstering the seats, turns out its probably cheaper than dye, and im actually going to do black leather 05-06 acura rsx front seats, im thinking they should match pretty well with the rears, last thing i need is front charcoal seatbelts and rear center belt and another couple yards of suede(ran out of it, need more for headliner) and some black floor mats( the carpet dye is fading, but if i put floor mats down it should be fine) red LEDs and its done!

Tired of my dirty smoked in tan interior, hate the color anyways, my car is coming out of the paint booth next week so why not make the inside fresh as well?
this will probably be a diy soon.
was originally going to trade my spare quartz leather interior for charcoal(black) but couldnt schedule the swap well and the charcoal was in rough shape, so now im looking at painting the interior pieces satin black and fixing & dying the leather seats. also doing red sued inserts an trim. ill update with pics as progress is made, just started on rear panels.

parts:
-6 cans of satin black krylon paint for plastic(might need more, not sure)
-degreaser/acetone/other cleaners to clean pieces thoroughly
-sand paper if needed(im only sanding damaged spots, dont wanna ruin texture)
-2 cans of satin black vinyl/fabric paint for lower dash and 1/2 of the front door panels
-about 2-3 yards of fabric/suede/leather for wrapping trim/inserts
-3m spray adhesive
-not sure how to get headliner fabric yet lol
-2 cans vinyl/fabric paint for carpet(im doing red or black)
-brush for carpet
-painters tape
-dye kit for leather seats in graphite black
-repair kit for leather seats(purchasing leather supplies from leatherworldtech.com
-can of satin clear coat(do i need this on the parts? i bought some to test out, might be good to protect the paint)
-gloves
quantities will probably increase, im gonna guess about 200 to do all this.

interior.jpg
[/IMG]
^heres the rear quarters(i have a coupe) they came out great, still need clear, a lot of other parts are painted as well, more pics soon, and ill try not to use my phone camera next time.

moar pics

IMG_0419.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0424.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0420.jpg
[/IMG]
^some of these small bits are sanded some/need more coats

most of the pieces laid out to be painted tomorrow
IMG_0421.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0422.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0423.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0425.jpg
[/IMG]
^this will be painted tomorrow as well, might start on the door panels too

IMG_0426.jpg
[/IMG]
^heres what ive used so far, the scotch scrubby pads scratch the surface just barely, i only used sandpaper lightly on scratches and scuffs, you dont want to sand the texture off the panels

update 3/26
most parts painted
IMG_0427.jpg
[/IMG]
^bigger pieces painted

IMG_0432.jpg
[/IMG]
^plastic part of front door panels painted

IMG_0437.jpg
[/IMG]
^smaller pieces, they sucked to paint

IMG_0438.jpg
[/IMG]
^center console painted

IMG_0441.jpg
[/IMG]
^gauge bezel painted dark red

IMG_0448.jpg
[/IMG]
^interior pieces ready to be wrapped

IMG_0447.jpg
[/IMG]
^not feeling the vinyl

IMG_0435.jpg
[/IMG]
^more products needed

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg
fading carpet

IMG_0554.jpg

feedback appreciated, if this comes out good ill post more pics and have this moved to the DYI section, thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Brad2274

Reaction score
Re: Interior Overhaul

im gathering the insert material now, a good half of the pieces are painted.
at first i wanted to just swap it for charcoal and i was soooo against painting mine, but then i looked into how you can make it last and how good it looks, should be pretty easy, hardest part will be the dye.
picture added

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

This...is fantastic. I've been wanting a black and red interior for a long time. Looking forward to seeing updates!

And thank you for vowing not to take cell phone pics. ;)

kn0x47

Reaction score

I've used dupli colors vinyl paint before... no complaints, didn't need clearcoat. The flat black looked like an OEM finish

Brad2274

Reaction score

Just ask someone that works at Hancock or Joann fabrics. One of my local (non chain) fabric stores has headliner

i was at hobby lobby yesterday and they had nothing, only the spray adhesive, but i was suggested to go to both of those stores for suede, had no idea theyd have big enough material for headliner, ill go to both over spring break, thanks!

This...is fantastic. I've been wanting a black and red interior for a long time. Looking forward to seeing updates!

And thank you for vowing not to take cell phone pics. ;)

i've always wanted one, my car used to be green so it was pointless, but now that its red, it has to happened lol. i also have considered dying the seats black with red inserts, but i have a feeling theyd pop too much.

SykVSyx

Reaction score

Take a chance with your idea for the seats.

The red/black theme has been done, but if done right, it can still be a good look.

Brad2274

Reaction score

Take a chance with your idea for the seats.

The red/black theme has been done, but if done right, it can still be a good look.

true, and i can always dye them all black if i dont like it

SykVSyx

Reaction score

true, and i can always dye them all black if i dont like it

Exactly.

You saw that thread that 'ttknight' posted up about where to get the dye products? You may want to look in to that for a product recommendation.

Back