DIY: Newer Honda Horn Swap

Mikey

Reaction score
Got tired of the "MEEP MEEP". Sourced out that a lot of Civic and Fit guys were able to use newer (2010) Accord horns and it turns out it works for us, too.

PART NUMBERS:

38100-STK-A02 - HORN ASSY. (LOW)
38150-TA0-A01 - HORN ASSY. (HIGH)

Online they run $11-$12+shipping; dealership has them for $16-ish each. I suggest, and prefer, the dealer because I can get them same/next day and if I have return issues I can talk to someone in person.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***DISCLAIMER: This DIY involves removing your bumper and using small hand tools. I am not responsible for any injuries, damages, or mistakes you make. Please read carefully and make sure you are comfortable before proceeding. This will require a little wiggling and a little finesse but I assure you, this is a very simple modification.***

Items Needed:

1 High Horn
1 Low Horn
Socket Wrench
Extensions
12mm Socket
10mm Socket
Phillips Screwdriver
Flat-head Screwdriver (or prying tool)
Pliers; preferably needle-nose

IMAG1235_zps49535257.jpg

STEP 1: Remove the bumper. We all know how to do this. Once done, you can see, and access, the horns.

IMAG1230_zpsec724f31.jpg

IMAG1231_zpse5dcbb0a.jpg

**NOTE: I already have installed one of the horns. Don't worry, yours should still have both the old ones.**

STEP 2: Before removing the horns, we need to remove that plastic piece between them. (It wont fit after the new horns are in and I don't know it's purpose anyway. Keep it just in case but it may be junk.) Here's what it looks like from behind. You'll have to reach behind it and undo the two side clips and give it a good pull with the pliers to pop out that middle plug.

IMAG1232_zpsd399fba0.jpg

STEP 3: With the plastic piece gone, you can now access the (2) 12mm bolts that attach the horns to the car.

IMAG1233_zps165c670f.jpg

STEP 4: Remove the 12mm bolts and unplug your old horns. Looks like this when you've done so...

IMAG1236_zpsde7ac669.jpg

STEP 5: Plug the new horns in and bolt them on. Make note of which is which. Replace high with high, low with low. Just in case; High is on the PASSENGER SIDE, Low on the DRIVER SIDE.

IMAG1237_zps9fb278da.jpg

**NOTE: Each new horn will come with a plug and attaching arm. I found it best to line them up at a 90* angle. This will ensure plug clearance and so that water and debris don't gather or build-up inside the horns. The bolt on the back of the horns themselves are 10mm.**

IMAG1234_zpsf9d1cb97.jpg

STEP 6: Check that they work. Re-install the bumper. Enjoy.

Here's video from outside the car...

Video from inside the car...

Feel free to PM me or post any questions and don't forget to rep. :)

Last edited:

Mikey

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yeah, photobucket is weird with their videos. I'll include direct links to them.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
EmDubGuido, nice work. Even the links don't work for me here at work, but the horns look much louder, and look like proper horns, for that matter.

Repped.

Mikey

Reaction score
D-Wreck, it must be your setup. They obviously work on my computer but they're even pulling up on my phone.

:thinking:

And, actually, the old ones said "110dB" and the new ones say "108dB". :lawl:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Yeah, I can probably check them on my phone, but I wanted the "big screen" experience.

*edit* Checked the vids on my phone, yeah, definately an upgrade over stock, but I don't think they are quite as loud as the Hella ones. Not that that is an issue. I just prefer louder....especially for potential accident situations, aggression and for the sake of the family.

Shape of the horns makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

cjsaccord

Reaction score
This is one of the pet peeves I have with this car, I like the way the horn sounds a lot, it kind gives the car more class and sounds more solid now, instead of sounding like a tin can with a horn.

Back