ABS and TCS lights

Dagriff1997

Reaction score
I have a 02 Accord Sedan EX-L V6, and sometimes when I start it up, the abs and the tcs lights are on, but sometimes when I am sitting in park, and when the abs and the tcs lights are off, if I rev the car past like 1100 RPMs it acts like the car is "spinning" which is causing the TCS to kick in. I took it to my dad to have him scan the codes at his work, but when I went in there the lights weren't on, and the codes he pulled had nothing to do with the abs. Could it be an alternator? The SRS light comes on at times too..... PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

james'99

Reaction score
Most standard code readers will not spit out codes for the ABS and other similar systems in the car. There is a way though. You will need to short pin 8 and 13 like in this picture (http://www.k-series.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=901&d=1293470014) and the cluster will begin to flash out codes once you turn the key to the on position. Long flashes pertain to the "tens" place. Short flashes pertain to the "ones" place. Once you have all the codes, match them up to the list for the system described...

ABS Codes

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/honda-abs-codes-1998-to-now

TCS Codes

Here's my own list as per Haynes Service manual...

24 - Right front normally-open solenoid
25 - Right front normally-closed solenoid
26 - Left front normally-open solenoid
27 - Left front normally-closed solenoid
28 - TCS relay
31 - Engine retard command
32 - Engine speed
34 - Reference voltage
36 - Throttle position sensor
61 - Automatic transmission shift position
81 - Continuous TCS Operation

SRS Codes

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=3111979

Last edited:

Dagriff1997

Reaction score
Okay, so today as soon as it acted up, I took it in. It said right front wheel sensor. And throttle position sensor...... Does the throttle position have to do with abs? And how hard are they to replace?

james'99

Reaction score
Wheel sensors are a pain. It is definitely gonna take some patience. Although as I remember the common failure on our cars is with the right rear sensor... May want to double check the code. A bad sensor can be commonly tested with a multimeter. A good sensor measures approximately 2 kOhms across the leeds. The bad one I changed was 8 kOhms.

Throttle position sensor... I wouldn't think there would be any relation. That code pertained to the TCS light or was that a CEL light?

Funny thing is, ABS light was always on on the car until I corrected the issue and cleared the codes. Are you saying on start up, the lights aren't on?

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
When your dad pulled the codes with the reader, did you get anything related to the throttle position sensor? P0122 or P0123?

Dagriff1997

Reaction score
I have no idea, he wrote the codes down somewhere in my car on a notepad. I am very positive that it is the right front, as before I had bought the car, the dealership had replaced the rear abs sensors. And when I start the car up, the lights just stay on. And The reason I was asking about the throttle position sensor was because sometimes when I put my car in reverse, the car kinda revs up and down, and goes below normal idling sometimes. And if I rev my car its slow coming back down to idle speed. I just have having the lights on because I drive at night mostly, and they are very distracting. I am about to take the bulbs out. The lights go away, and then after a few short trips they kick back on as soon as I startup.

james'99

Reaction score
If that's the case, I would just begin by replacing the sensor. The lights should be always on until corrected. I was unsure if this is what you meant. If there is a fault in the TCS system, the car may be acting that way because there is a fault stored. I would try to clear the fault code, and in the period before and if it comes back, see whether it acts normal again until the time the codes is thrown. Before that though, I would replace the ABS sensor.

Back