Car shuts off when put into R or D

CarbedUp

Reaction score
The car starts up fine in Park but will stall imediately when put into Reverse or Drive. After you start the car, you have to immediately press the gas pedal or else you will stall.

I am afraid that it might be a transmission-related problem. Hopefully, it's not. Also, the car will stall in stop and go traffic. It start up quickly once you do the neutral drop. Yes, I know neutral drop is super bad for automatics. Need to go work 40 miles away somehow.

It's a 1999 Honda Accord DX with F23A5 engine. Currently, at 295k with pretty much a 6 month distributor old and spark plugs+wires. New OEM air intake hose because other one had a big tear in it.

Car has ripped axle boots that slathered grease on my brakes. Needs an oil change, though.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Lotsa work ahead!

But rly, how's it idle? MIL (malfunction indicator, aka, CEL: check engine)

CarbedUp

Reaction score
Idle is normal. No CEL, MIL is probably for an oil change.

Somebody mentioned it might be a faulty torque converter solenoid. I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

james'99

Reaction score
I thought all the DXs were manual transmissions without VTEC and A/C and such.

Edit: Scratch that, I'm wrong.

james'99

Reaction score
Just to clarify, Maint. Reqd. is a dummy light for oil changes. CEL is check engine light which would indicate that something isn't right.

CarbedUp

Reaction score
Oops. You guys are correct. I confirmed there's no CEL/MIL flashing or staying on solid. I meant to say there's a maintenance required light on oil change.

I forgot to mention I do have a serious oil leak. It's probably caused by the rear main seal. Yes, indeed I do have lots of work to do on this car. It wasn't very well-maintained. I'm surprised it's around 295k miles.
The previous owner abandoned it and this car will probably be given to someone in my fam if I could make it drivable.

Back