Manual Transmission Fluid(MTF) Change Procedures (photos)

Bearcat

Reaction score
This is almost as easy as an oil change, except you'll need to remove the right front tire, but there is no filter to change. Honda recommends changing the MTF @ 30K intervals.

Parts Needed:
1) Honda MTF part#08798-9031, $4.39/qt. Manual says 2 qts but buy 3 just in case. This is an improved formula since 2006, suppose to improve shifting quality.
2) Fill plug washer, part# 94109-20000, $.44
3) Drain plugwasher, part# 94109-14000, $.22

Tools Needed:
1) Jack
2) 17 mm wrench (for fill plug)
3) 3/8" socket wrench (for drain plug)
4) Drain pan
5) Tranmission fluid filling tube(see 3rd photo below)

Procedures:
1) Measure the vehicle's normal level height; you'll need to fill the fluid when the vehicle is at a level stance in step #7:
MTFChange001.jpg

2) Jack up the car & remove the right front tire. Make sure you place tire stoppers before jacking up the car, and if you're using the factory jack, use in conjunction with another jack stand as a safety precaution.

3) Place drain pan under the drain & fill plugs (photo showing drain & fill plugs):
MTFChange003.jpg

4) Remove the fill plug using the 17 mm wrench. You'll want to make sure you can remove this plug first, in case if you cannot remove this plug, you didn't already drain the MTF and not able to put in any fluid.

5) Remove the drain plug using the 3/8" socket wrench to drain the MTF. This plug has a square hole and the 3/8" socket fits right in. You may want to lower the jack to allow a more complete drain. After the fluid is depleted, replace the washer in the plug then reinstall the drain plug. Raise the vehicle back to the normal level height.

6) Fit the "transmission fluid tube" onto the MTF bottle. It's a perfect fit. I prefer this type than the pump, because (1)it's easier to let the gravity work for you and (2)you won't have much fluid remain in the tube, (3) it's a lot less messier. It also have a another fitting for the bigger 5 qts containers.
MTFChange008.jpg

7) Fill her up! Pour the MTF into the fill hole by inserting the tip of the tube into the fill hole then open the valve by turning the control on the filler tube. until it over flows. This will take about 2 qts or a little more if you don't waste any fluid.
MTFChange010.jpg

8) Tighten the fill plug with a washer. Put the tire back and you're done.:)

Ps. Before putting the tire back, might as well check the wear on the brake pads.

Last edited:

[email protected].

Reaction score
I just did this two weeks ago for the second time (my car has 90K on it). You hit all the bases, and you hit 'em well. I agree on the filler tube - I have the same one, $4.99 at AutoZone- it works great.

Great point on getting the filler plug out first. Mine didn't want to come out, but finally did after some coaxing from my impact gun.

Nice pics too!

AngusTEx

Reaction score
I don't know if the OP still frequents 6GA but was hoping him or someone would rehost the pics. Need to do this soon to mine.

5spd'r

Reaction score
I fill from the top with a funnel w/flexible hose,easy stuff. I also change at the same time as the engine oil,got that idea from the owner of Spoon Sports and it makes a difference every time! I've been avoiding Honda oil because mine refused to downshift into 1st w/it at anything over 5 or maybe 10 mph. Using Torco mtl it improved alot but now I change it more often so I use cheaper oil, Chevron delo 15w40 is good, even non-detergent sae30 is better than honda, just doesn't last as long. Hope this helps.

sodaks2k

Reaction score
I'm a little anal when it comes to torque specs. Anybody have them for the drain and fill plug? I'm guessing around 29 ft/lbs?

Back