1999 EXL Sedan - Update Thread

accordlover

Reaction score
Long story short some girl backed in my accord.

148,350 miles now. Going strong, just replaced even more parts. Car has had 5g's worth of work since I bought it in Aug of 08 with 127k miles. Hopefully it will hold out!

Take a looksee.
P1010172.jpg

P1010173.jpg

P1010174.jpg

P1010175.jpg

P1010176.jpg

P1010177.jpg

P1010178.jpg

P1010179.jpg

P1010180.jpg

P1010181.jpg

P1010182.jpg

P1010184.jpg

P1010186.jpg

P1010187.jpg

The girls insurance paid me $2700. Going to get the entire front replaced/repainted along with the roof. Getting a new set of honda alloys but not showing which ones yet, it's secret.

Just thought I'd poke in.

I was thinking about the coupe conversion (01-02) on the front, but I haven't seen any sedans with the coupe front in heathermist metallic. Any pics of that around here???

Going with 30% tint all around after the repairs are done and getting my drivers seat rip fixed along with some new honda accessories that I bought.

Car will be better than it was before!

98-EX-Leather

Reaction score
thats what im talking about... a good insurance check to get the ball going... lol...j/p

i wish i had the spoiler on mine...and the wood grain middle radio bezel....

i havent seen the coupe conversion on our color car either.. should look good though.. def. diff.

Angel jr

accordlover

Reaction score
Pics later today.. but wanted to post some stuff :)

Went to the salvage yard and scored a new leather seat cover from a 00 EX-L (no more rip!), took out my iPod deck in favor of the CD/Cass player that is stock. I like how clean it looks with the stock stereo in there... my aftermarket deck looked so tacked on IMO. Replaced my crappy leaking tails that would pour water into my trunk if I opened it every time it rained or I washed it.

I also relocated the cruise and sunroof controls, replaced the lights in my A/C controls and the missing recline button on my drivers seat. Switched to 95 EX wheels with Bridgestone Potenza tires in 195/60/15. - The Machined alloy looks so much better than the stock painted 15's IMO.

My car got keyed a few months ago and I was fortunate enough to benefit from what is now essentially a new paint job since not long before that I had my front end replaced. The same body shop painted the rest of the car and it looks awesome, no fade anywhere, no scratches! I need to stop being lazy and park it far away from idiots in parking lots.

Mechanically the car is not so good attm. I'm at 163k and I took it in to Honda for an oil change last week, only to hear that my cam/crank seals are leaking... the same ones I replaced with my t-belt service at another honda dealer exactly a year and a month ago. So currently in a battle with old dealer for them to pay to fix my car, since it's obvious they didn't do a quality job or the seals would still be sealing. I have a case manager with Honda of America who is supposed to contact me later today (Monday) with info as to if the dealer who did the repairs will be told to pay out by corporate. If not, I'm looking at $400 to re-do the job. (bangs head)

Second, my P/S pump has been seeping for ages, so I'll need to deal with that soon, but I just noticed that my P/S rack is starting to seep just a tad... I've been told that this can go on for some time without having to replace the rack... nevertheless, it's going to need done I suppose.

3rd - My cat converter took a dump and is throwing P0420... either going to use the fouler methood or replace it... but the OEM cat is $$$... people tell me the Magnaflow is good for these cars? - I'd like to hear from people who have had success with it. I have been warned to stay away from AZ cats and other cheapo aftermarket ones.

4th (lol long post) - I checked the sway bars. CV's and what not... and it seems that the only resolution to my suspension clunk (which has been there since 127k and hasn't gotten worse) is to replace the bump stops, bushings and upper/lower ball joints... possibly the struts as well. - This may may be why I move on... I fear doing a suspension overhaul and my steering rack only to have my tranny die a month or even 20k later.

Other than these 4 things, the car runs good. Very fast and peppy. Gas mileage blows, but maybe new O2's and a cat would help... it's hard not to rev the crud out of this car, the 2.3 likes to go up the rev band and basically drives like crap unless you're pushing it.

Overall pretty happy with my baby... she's not perfect but I feel like she might be worth keeping since I've invested so much into it already... I'm narrowing down the number of things to fail on me at this point. (or so I think). If my tranny will make it to 200k I'll be very thankful. (106k on the trans if i makes it to 200k... replaced at 94k... so very paranoid with it being at almost 70k miles right now...)

Pics of my changes tomorrow... once I take care of the mechanical issues I'm really interested in the TL sway bars + intake + blackhoused headlights + a 1 inch drop... not too much. I'm back in Texas now so I'm able to do that with the good roads here!

juicebox00

Reaction score
so much reading. lol. sounds good though man and i suggest getting the high flow magnaflow cat

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
I'll sell you my tein stechs and tokico hp's for $300 + shipping. Its a two inch drop but that really isn't much for our cars the only thing that scrapes when I drive is my front lip and my exhaust (crappy ebay piping that hangs down too far)

accordlover

Reaction score
Pics... thought I'd share the few things I've done with my Accord... 165,000 miles. :)

Haven't done much to the exterior... mainly just the 94-95 EX wheels, spoiler, tint and the moonroof visor... Anyone notice I have taken the advice of many to ditch the OEM bra? Bring on the sunvisor hate lol but I love it. I'm really tall and the wind blows on my head without it haha.

Picture092.jpg

Picture094.jpg

Picture095.jpg

The inside...
Picture098.jpg

Picture107.jpg

Woodgrain Trim :)
Picture099.jpg

Put my radar detector on the dash and ran the cord behind the radio bezel.
Picture100.jpg

Added the Homelink from a V6.
Picture103.jpg

My driver seat had a huge gash in the side bolster, so I found this seat cover from a 2000 V6 and swapped it out. It's not perfect, but it's better. Only paid 25 for it.

Picture105.jpg

Picture106.jpg

I managed to get one of the last sets of the Honda All-Season mats from my dealer for $45.00.
Picture108.jpg

and the most glorious moment...
Picture110-1.jpg

I've put a ton of miles on this car in short time. Averaging 33k a year. Pushing for 200k this year! - Then I will retire her and move on.

Just for kicks, I cleaned my old 96 accord today. 134k miles. Orig owner is my mom.

Picture082.jpg

Picture085.jpg

Picture083.jpg

Picture089.jpg

Just noticed my headlights are leaking so I am going to buy black housed headlights soon. Lowering was in question but is now a def. no. Simply cause my main goal with this car is to get where I need to be, and honestly I already find the ride choppy enough over bad pavement. Add lowering to an already 165k mile old suspension setup and I fear that the components will fail even sooner due to the added stress. Also, it's hard to re-sell a modded accord. I would easily get 4-4500 from CL in my area. The accord market here in Austin TX is very pricey and in demand.

Thanks for checking it out... sorry there's not much to see lol.

Nismode

Reaction score
Beginnings of a multipost lol....

Our stock alloys look better on a 5th gen than they do on our sixth gen accords haha.

Nismode

Reaction score
Not going to lower it because I live in New Orleans and my car is already scraping the ground enough on our horrible roads. No way jose.

Maybe when I get back to Texas... but still, I enjoy my ride comfort. Function>Form IMO.

My next thing is tint. I've been looking at the LED tails but I can't warm up to them. I think I'll just live with mine as-is.

I don't plan to stray far from the stock form of my Accord. I want to be able to easily trade/sell it in a year or so, and mods don't add value in the used accord market; they usually decrease it.

I would make it fast before I made it look fast, anyways. ;) Sleeper is my style.

No excuses. I live in NYC, and we have some of the worst roads that are pothole ridden. You learn how to drive with it lol.

As for Function>Form, you have heard of Function and Form coilovers right?

as for LED tails, there are many options that don't stray too far from looking gaudy...

Check out this thread:

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=199757

DSC_0043-2.jpg

n9161022ky8.jpg

3747511619_c6fca7514b_d.jpg

I was thinking about the coupe conversion (01-02) on the front, but I haven't seen any sedans with the coupe front in heathermist metallic. Any pics of that around here???

Going with 30% tint all around after the repairs are done and getting my drivers seat rip fixed along with some new honda accessories that I bought.

Car will be better than it was before!

You will know how this looks before this spring, hehe, my fellow Heather Mist owner.

I'm getting 35%, that's a pretty good number a lot of people choose that isn't too dark, but is worth the price for tint.

Back