1BAD6's Skyline Gray Paint and Bodywork Thread! New pics pg9!!!

1bad6

Reaction score
Welcome to my body and paint thread folks!

A quick summary: the car went to the bodyshop in pretty bad shape…the paint was badly faded in many areas, there was hail damage all over, and several major dents. The moldings were also faded and the windshield was pitted. Wesley (my bodyshop guy) is extremely thorough and in addition to fixing the dents, installing the bodykit, and painting, he’s also replacing all the moldings, and glass. The car’s bodywork and reassembly will be done in a few weeks. Wesley went as far with the work as he could before we sent it to Mainstream performance in Dallas, Ga for the turbo build (follow the link in my sig for that). Now that the build is completed, the barbarian is heading back to Wesley’s shop for the final reassembly. I’ll post the completed pics in about 2 weeks!

So without further delay, here’s my car’s bodywork and paint story told by pictures. Enjoy!

The roof had hail damage and dents. It’s filled in and sanded in this pic.
hondaroof.jpg

A pic of the bumper that came with the bodykit and the type R spoiler that I got for it
spoilerreardriversidevi.jpg

Trunk sanded and another pic of the bodykit’s bumper. The bumper sat a little too low to the ground for my comfort, so I switched it out for a rear bumper lip that attaches to the stock bumper (pics of that further down).
rearviewfrompassengersi.jpg

The R34 front bumper being fitted
wholecarfrontbumberview.jpg

sviewn.jpg

Aftermarket fender after being fitted, puttied, and sanded…many times. Wesley, my bodyshop guy, said it took several hours to get both fenders looking right.
passengersidefender.jpg

The driver’s door had a SERIOUS dent where you now see putty…there is now a night and day difference from how it looked!
ssideview.jpg

The new rear bumper lip being fitted and attached. I much prefer the ride height of this setup as opposed to the bumper that came with the kit
sside.jpg

The new VIS Invader CF hood being test fitted.
frontcenterviewwithhood.jpg

The roof after priming.
primedroof.jpg

The whole car primed and the side skirts being fitted.
sideskirt.jpg

wholecarprimedfront.jpg

ssidefrontview1.jpg

AND NOW………………………………………………………………………….PAINT!

I loved the color of this Skyline so I found the paint code and asked Wesley to make it happen.
wv2.jpg

Here’s the outcome………….

Freshly painted car still in the booth.
kewsipaint1002.jpg

kewsipaint1001.jpg

Wow, the roof looks SO much better than where it started!!
kewsipaint1006.jpg

The finished product in natural light. He still hasn’t been buffed and polished yet, but is heading back to the bodyshop this week now that the engine work has been done. He will be put back together with the new wheels, kit, and hood in the next week or two. Wesley and I figured it would best to let the engine guys do their thing, install the intercooler and piping, and then he’d cut the front bumper to fit around the intercooler if necessary.
kwesi004.jpg

kwesi003.jpg

kwesi001.jpg

I’m MORE than happy with how the color has turned out and Wesley did a fantastic job matching the requested color. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Last edited:

Chorilored

Reaction score
Re: 1BAD6's Skyline Gray Paint and Bodywork Thread!!

looks good man.:thumbsup:

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score

looked like they did a great job... a couple things i would have gone a different route on:

1. OEM CF hood (but i guess ur hood is actually functional lol)
2. lose the wing
3. blackhoused headlights with retros
4. OEM fenders

juicebox00

Reaction score

it's comin out pretty good, i'm not a fan of body kits on our cars but when they're done right it looks good. you just need to slam the **** out of your car now and put on some sick rims and you're set

edit: the wing will totally destroy the look of the car though

Last edited:

1bad6

Reaction score

The color looks really good.

Thanks man!

looks good man.:thumbsup:

Thanks!

it's comin out pretty good, i'm not a fan of body kits on our cars but when they're done right it looks good. you just need to slam the **** out of your car now and put on some sick rims and you're set

I'm not a fan of slamming a car...especially mine! It's usually impractical because you then have to worry about things that shouldn't matter...like speedbumps and jacking up the expensive bodywork that was done or rubbing the wheels when going over speedbumps. It's just silly...just like stripping an interior!

looked like they did a great job... a couple things i would have gone a different route on:

1. OEM CF hood (but i guess ur hood is actually functional lol)
2. lose the wing
3. blackhoused headlights with retros
4. OEM fenders

You sound like more of a "sleeper" guy. I'm nothing of the sort; I'm a form complementing function kinda guy! A badass, high horsepowered engine in a "sleeper" is like Beyonce walking around in Martha Stewart's body to me. Just wrong!!

I like a sporty wing and I changed out the OEM fenders because they're boring...they look like every other Accord's fenders that's left the assembly line.

To me, there's no point in going through all the trouble (and MONEY) to redo the exterior if the purpose was to make it look OEM. And there's no point in having a 500+hp Accord that looks stock (Martha Stewart)...ish. That's just me.

Vlad02coupe

Reaction score

It is YOUR Accord, you have every right to do whatever you want to it to make it stand out from every other accord if you so wish.
Looks great so far can't wait to see it when it's all done!

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score

i'm always down for functionality, which is why i said the cf hood is fine.. but i still don't understand how u can claim the wing and fenders to be functional?

SykVSyx

Reaction score

Not even going to lie, I saved the link/pic of that Skyline for future potential paint colour reference. Great choice!

Done's that I approve:
1. Paint
2. hood
3. body work

Done's that I don't:
1. Fenders
2. Body Kit
3. Spoiler

Had been able to source an OEM kit, I think you would have been much happier with how it looked, even if you went with the OEM spoiler, it would be been a much cleaner look.

Of course, you are going to do what you like, so hope it turns out the way you want it.

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score

The color choice is great...

How much actual research did you do before picking out the exterior options? I totally agree that you shouldn't go with the OEM or sleeper look, but do you really think that was the best front bumper option? I don't think a single accord has pulled off that spoiler yet, not even the Accord Type R...

I think the BlackWidow2 (which is now defunct, but the replicas still exist...Roger's carbon fiber version seen below) spoiler would have been the best choice...definitely far from OEM, but sleek and aggressive for a car with power like yours.

4244281529_0270f9d4b4_o.jpg

Also, are you painting the ViS Invader carbon fiber hood completely, partially, or not at all?

When you get a chance, please take some pics of your sideskirts installed with the doors open. I'd love to see how Wesley fitted those skirts in the door sill area. Thanks in advance.

Back