2010 gti

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
How have ownership costs been so far? A friend of a friend went in for their 60k or 80k scheduled maintenance and it was a cool $500 for his GTI.

dtraill27

Reaction score
The question about the brakes was just some kind of effect the detailer did. I checked out other wheels after and they all looked like that. It has been to VW 3 times since and they haven't said anything so I'm sure the brakes are good. here's what they looked like this morning:
2012-03-22_12-45-36_447.jpg

This is what I started with minus the tint. Terrible stripe wrong size tires and ugly chrome strips above the wheel wells. Odly enough it looks lower in this pick with small tires haha
2011-12-01_07-47-07_554.jpg

Cost of ownership has been an oil change (DIY approx 50 for the oil and filter) and the tires which weren't the fault of the car. I'm sitting at 22k right now so I am still under warranty and under carefree maintenance so I got my 20k service for free. The clutch master cylinder was replaced under warranty as well as a dashboard vent because the chrome came off. The clutch pedal was making a weird click when I put it in so I brought to the dealership and they took care of me. All in all so far so good. If his is the DSG transmission that might be why it was so expensive. From what I have read a fluid change on that is very pricey like $400 alone I think and it needs to be done every 40k. All the more reason to get a manual

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^I don't think Ryan meant that to be offensive.

Anyway if the DSG is and auto that lets you drive in 'Sport mode' or whatever and lets the revs go higher, etc, then yeah that's what he has.

Even so, I'd like to know what the hell process they use to complicate a fluid change, simplest of all maintenance jobs, thus costing $400.

Last edited:

dtraill27

Reaction score
If the DSG is what lets you drive in Sport mode or whatever and lets the revs go higher, etc, then yeah that's what he has.

Even so, I'd like to know what the hell process they use to make a fluid change, simplest of all maintenance jobs, cost $400.

Yeah the DSG has the paddle shifters on it. There are only two choices for the GTI DSG or manual. It's one of the things I see complained about a lot but I think most of it is labor cost.

"To those not familiar with the filling process of the DSG - its kinda complicated. Basically you need a special fill adapter, fill the vehicle on a lift then check the DSG fluid level at a specific fluid temp. Not to mention access to the DSG filter housing is limited and removal of the airbox is required to gain access. I've always performed a basic settings of the DSG after a fluid change on top of all that. "

Said it's about a 4 hour job hence the hefty tag

SykVSyx

Reaction score
My initials are DSG, so a high cost of maintenance should be expected for a high level of functionality.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Given that explanation…DSG = big hunk of useless overcomplicated poorly engineered metal. Not unlike the 4spd 6GA auto.

I’m sorry but it is a ludicrous idea to make a car and expect the average owner to pay that kind of money for routine maintenance costs. And if you have to remove other parts just to get to it…that is just poor engineering. Germans must have outsourced this aspect of the car…:lawl:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I'm gonna go ahead and ignore the first part of your post.

:peek:

I wonder if some of the automakers decide to screw over consumer's by selecting another manufacturer to make the most inefficient parts and go with them, so that consumer's will have no choice but to pay for overpriced repairs.

Back