2012 Kia Optima SX vs. 2012 Acura TSX

Discussion in 'Non-6GA Car Chat' started by callmeryang, Jun 18, 2012.

1. fastflyinaccord

fastflyinaccord Well-Known Member

If you are going on reputation, pick the TSX

However, KIA has stepped up their game considerably in the past few years. They are making decent looking cars that are seemingly holding up well. Cody seems to have nothing but good things to say about his Optima...

2. GoldnKnight22

GoldnKnight22 TWM:TLMF

Looks like you could get a fully loaded Optima Turbo SX for ~27k.

Or a TSX with 70 less hp and worse gas mileage for ~34k.

Honestly, what about the TSX makes it that much more luxurious? I think the Optima has every feature that the TSX has, and that's it you get the expensive Technology package for the TSX.

THe Hyundai/Kia bluetooth and navigation is really smooth. Haven't seen one from a newer TSX in action.

Obviously it depends what you're looking for. Optima is cheaper, faster (assuming automatics for both), better fuel economy, and in my opinion better looking. It comes down to whether the TSX is more comfortable/luxurious and whether you feel more comfortable with the proven dependability of Acura over the upstart Kia, which is improving every year by leaps and bounds.

3. RedRyder

RedRyder Save the manuals

My sister and her fiancé just bought a TSX. Definitely a nice car inside and out…but mostly inside. Not the most exciting car to drive, however. But a 274hp turbo 6spd Optima? Yes please. And it looks better imo. I’d say the Acura is the more comfortable choice, you know Hondas, you know Japanese reliability. The Optima would be a new venture, but it looks really great and would be more fun to drive.

Read Cody’s two threads on his Optima SX.

No offense, but this is a very uninformed statement. Saying you “hate Korean cars because they’re horrible” doesn’t really hold any water.

Whether or not cars are made in the US doesn’t matter, GM makes a lot of their cars in Canada, other manufacturers have plants in Mexico and other places you wouldn’t expect. And I’ve been in a couple newer Korean cars and cannot discern a difference between them and a new Honda/Toyota in terms of fit and finish. My buddy has a 2006 Sonata GLS and in the 5 years he’s owned it, the car has only had two minor problems (pulley replacement and seat recliner mechanism. Total maintenance costs have been under $400…quality wise that’s pretty good. Korean manufacturers started out selling these newer models for less, and just ate a lot of cost to get the cars launched and circulating, but the quality was still there. How many recalls have you seen from other car manufacturers lately? If you follow Autoblog at all, there has been quite a few.

Yes, up until about 2006/7ish, Korean cars have been pretty terrible, they were a means of transportation and that’s about it. But whether anyone likes it or not, times have changed and Hyundai is building exceptional cars, and Kia is slowly following suit. The only Korean designs I’ve seen resembling other cars is the front of the Genesis sedan, which is not too far off of an older Mercedes/Maybach. The Soul is different, the Optima is different (and looks better than a Camry/Accord), the Genesis coupe/sedan (except for the front as I said), the Elantra, the Sonata, etc are all different.

As for resale value, you could be right. But we’ll have to wait to find out. But I’m guessing they will hold their value better than we think, because the new Korean cars are selling very well.

I parked next to a Genesis R-Spec the other day. :drool:

4. Valet

Valet IS300 SX > Accord

That's strange because I know their reliability is awful. At least in the past, my only assumption is that these newer ones will be as well. Nothing has proved me otherwise on the bigger picture. And my biggest thing is that many of their models, mostly have problems with Kia, copy luxury manufactures and then try to compare themselves. Or how their commercials are worded in this kind of undeserved cockiness, not to mention misleading.

I have my own beef with them.

Also, ****ing rebadging. Why do they do that? Is it because they know that someone paying 60k+ for a Hyundai is never going to go off well? And then making the logos similar to a Bentley?

5. WilDFirE

WilDFirE Well-Known Member

I've driven all of them, the TSX V6, Optima, Opt Hybrid and Turbo...

and let's just go on record by saying that I have a Honda bias but I weigh all vehicles based on fair criteria. also I prefer a manual so with that being said to even the playing field all vehicles must be an auto since the TSX V6 is auto and so is the Optima Turbo. We'll consider cost after the 'drivers analysis' in order:

1. Optima Turbo, sorry 6ga to put it bluntly it's a blast to drive point blank, it looks more expensive than it is and although Kia reliability is not as high as Honda it is substantially better and is more on par with the other imports in that arena (subie, Mazda, nissan) which is acceptable considering the warranty to pick up the remainder of issues if you're willing to put up with it. Gas mileage is acceptable as well

2. Acura TSX V6, great to look at and a car that will likely age well over time and is the better road car considering the interior bonuses for the long road trips. the V6 is potent but the mpg weighs heavily in my book. You know the reliability of Honda products, but I have to admit there's a sting to automatic and the V6 in the back of my mind but I'd bet it's worth the gamble.

if the turbo is in the discussion the V6 is the only way to compare the two fairly. Now granted this is what looks great on paper and considering that I've driven both, I know that if I could find a TSX for the right price it wouldn't be a debate at all, in the end the cost is killer but.....*sometimes*....you pay for what you get.

6. Valet

Valet IS300 SX > Accord

If you buy the Kia, you're going to need that 10 year warranty :jae:

7. almightyfargoth

almightyfargoth Well-Known Member

:ugh: neither?

if you have that amount of money, buy from a generation where cars looked nicer :lawl:

8. Wildman

Wildman Read the rules

Might be true - I think a lot of people are still afraid of that.... which is exactly the point of offering a longer warranty.

I think we get it - you don't like Korean brands lol.

My car isn't perfect, if you read through the updates you'll see there are things I think they could have still improved upon. But so far I've been happy with my decision, and hopefully I'll never need to use the warranty.

If I do though, that's what it's there for. Unlike with my Honda, where I was one of the people who got to replace a transmission outside of warranty at like 65k miles.

9. GoldnKnight22

GoldnKnight22 TWM:TLMF

Oh, wait, you want to compare a V6 TSX? Yeah okay, now we're talking a 10 grand difference. :lawl: For pretty much the same performance and far worse gas mileage. :lawl:

You need to let it go man... Kia has improved so much it's ridiculous, lol. They are winning comparos and taking home awards. The cost of ownership is starting to shine through, and the quality simply IS better than it was 10 years ago.

In terms of quality and VALUE, I certainly put Kia's offerings ahead of the majority of domestic cars.

10. DarkSideAccord

DarkSideAccord nadeshiko fobz ftw..

i hope u guys know tht hyundai and KIA are the company right...?

i'm still iffy abt korean made cars.. only one i'd get is the genesis coupe and new elantra (mpg for cheap haha)