5-speed swap pics

Lloyd

Reaction score
Wow Bjorkmae...You're superhuman to do that job in 2 days. Took me that long just to get my rusted brake discs off after I stripped the screws out :)

Hey you said above to depin #10 on plug D and pin it in #10 on plug C...Don't you mean #23 on plug C? ....I'm looking at a chart of the plug pinouts and it says #10 on plug C is blu/black VTM...variable torque management or something like that.

#23 on plug C is labeled blu/white VSS (vehicle speed sensor) Just thought you should clarify that for other folks looking to do the swap in the future.

Ryan S....Yeah that pic looks super hillbilly I know. It started out as me trying to jack the tranny into place from below while my buddy tried aligning it..We found that wasn't working & we realized you really have to hoist it from above, and so we started grabbing whatever was handy. The chain and band clamp & 2x4 came out, and then we needed it higher....more wood etc....Heh! Once we had the height, it worked like a charm and it slid on nicely. The tranny wasn't very heavy so there was no problem with stacking stuff on that lightweight front crossmember.

Also I wanted to add that as far as getting the engine to start after the swap,I found the only wiring that's necesarry is to find the to large black/white wires under the drivers side dash and to cut & solder them together (step #9 on Turbowa's wiring writeup)...I did cut the big AT tranny plug off and twist the black & white before I started it but I'm not entirely sure you need to do that (there's some confusion over which wires go together and I'd like to know more about the whys of that if anyone knows)

In my recent experience, you can start & drive the car with the AT computer and without doing any VSS wiring.

Last edited:

bjorkmae

Reaction score
Yes your right #23 on plug C. I was really tired when I wrote that up. Sure you can start the car without having the vss hooked up but then isn't that just asking for a ticket? Also without the VSS the vtech won't work. Plus your check engine light will be on with the atx computer which means you can't pass emissions. It only took about an hour to wire everything up correctly so that it would work. Now I did notice that the cruise control doesn't work but that probably because its not supposed to work unless the car is in drive so I will fix that problem later. My point is that if your going to do a swap of this nature at least try to do it completely and get everything ahead of time, well at least thats my preference :)

Lloyd

Reaction score
Yeah those are all great points...I just brought that up because at the time I finished my swap mechanically , I was a bit freaked about messing with the wiring. I wanted to know what was the minimum I had to do to see if the car would start and I couldn't get anyone to respond on 6thgen....So I realized it was just the ignition wires and I thought it would be a useful piece of information.

Anyway...Right now I've been running around with no speedo and no vtec for the last couple weeks. ..cluster just sorta sitting in the dash....panels and glovebox still removed . Not sure why it's not working because I've got the wiring diagrams and it appears I have the wiring correct..So I suspect it's a bad speed sensor or bad connection in the plug itself. Man I miss vtec....The F23A1 is pretty gutless without it. ...I'll get on it this week but I guess I've just been a bit tired of all the weeks of tinkering and just happy to be driving the car again.

I did some sleuthing into the big AT plug wire colors in an attempt to understand why we need to twist a couple of them together. Maybe someone can chime in with some info about this, but here's what I've found so far

Big ATX plug wires

-yellow= Transmission range switch 4th
-pink = Transmission range switch 3rd
-blue = Transmission range switch 2nd
-brown = Transmission range switch 1st
-black = ground
-gray= K-line (communication line)
-red/black = Throttle position sensor
-black blue= IACV intake air control valve...not sure if this is correct but that's what the plug diagram says this color is

-white= Input shaft sensor ground *OR* AT clutch solenoid valve....not sure which.

If anyone can tell us why we need to twist certain wires together please do...Is it just grounding loose wires?

Lloyd

bjorkmae

Reaction score
Ok so I only have 33 posts, how can I sell my auto transmission here if the F/S section requires 50 posts?

bjorkmae

Reaction score
Ok well I sold it on EBAY! So whats the best shipping method? How much does one of our automatics with a torque converter weigh? I am shipping from OR to WI.

NASOHC

Reaction score
Nice work guys... 2 days for a home job is very good. My guy at the shop was dropping & replacing my manual in 4 hours at the shop with air tools... hella fast! Now, I'm on my own. :(

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Good job with the swap...........don't clean the auto tranny often, I guess? :skurred:

No comment about the wood block 'engine hoist'.....:lawl:

Back