5 Speed Swapped

What do you think of doing an AT to MT 5Spd Swap?

• Total voters

Ric Rock

Reaction score
What part did you get first for the swap? The transmission? I have a lot of time (gonna need it to save up and all), so I'm trying to get the tranny for a steal lol. I don't want to buy any other parts until I have a tranny, cuz for some reason I want to have the tranny first before I get anything else lol.

Also, what were the hardest parts for you to find? Maybe I can try looking for those first.

started with the tranny...luckily i found a good one in the junkyard with under 100k miles and for me everything was a breeze from there, i took all the internals of that car and used it in my swap.

As far as random parts...it was some mount that was missing cant recall which one it was, it was in the front tho.

FYI!!

Make sure when you get the 5spd ecu its from the same year your coupe is, my issue i ran into that i didnt know the ecu wasnt compatible with my year accord. i did this ghetto brake pedal pushing start up crap that was to bypass that. rode around for like 2 days until my ecu came in. and make sure you have the vin from where that ecu came from it'll be needed when you get your keys programmed to it.

Last edited:

pyaarawala

Reaction score
Does it have to be the same exact year? Or just 98-00 and 01-02? Finding the same exact year could be a bit difficult.

Ric Rock

Reaction score
i think you can do 98-99 for your ecu. i had a 98 ecu in my car when the swap was first done, the temp gauge didnt work. if i remember right when i was reading up the 00-02 models have diff wiring for the o2 sensors which left my temp gauge not working with the 98 ecu. I had a 00 ecu and everything worked speedo/temp gauge but i couldnt program my keys to it because i didnt have then vin#. luckily got a 01 5spd ecu with a vin.

if you can try your best to get a 98 ecu for your swap...

Ohhhh snap actually i still have that 98 ecu with the vin# pm me if your interested.

Last edited:

hondaspeedx

Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm reviving this old thread, figure its better than starting a new one!

I'm a new 6th gen owner (<1 year) and I really want to do an AT to MT swap. I've talked to a few members and have been searching threads. I consider myself a DIY guy, but I can't tackle this, especially since I don't have a lift. Wondering if anyone from South Florida (Broward County) knows of a reputable shop that I can entrust for this sort of endeavor. Any advice/contact info would be appreciated!

HondaSpeedx
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3129309

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
i did my swap with no lift

hell except for the past 3 trannies, i have done all 8 drops barehanded with a friend or 2

CHID0

Reaction score
Ditto....I did my swap with no lift in a parking spot with 1 friend at the time i dropped and installed the tranny. No garage, no driveway.

If you're a DIY guy you can make it happen, I say go for it!

DXaccorD

Reaction score
where are all these transmissions coming from? where are you finding these? lol rochester NY has nothing...

CHID0

Reaction score
I got mine from some dude in CT, stay checkin craigslist in NY, CT, RI and surrounding. And don't be afraid to travel to pick one up for a good price. Also check local junkyards.

Ric Rock

Reaction score
I got mine from some dude in CT, stay checkin craigslist in NY, CT, RI and surrounding. And don't be afraid to travel to pick one up for a good price. Also check local junkyards.

got mines at a local junkyard :peace:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Is there a big difference ric since you went to manual as far as acceleration? Im gonna do my swap in jan. I am wondering if i am going to be satified with the performance results or not.

Back