$830: Mechanic wants to do my distributor for $830!! ahhhh

frldyz

Reaction score
This is my 1st post.
I have a 98 accord 4 dr lx. w/ approx. 300k miles on it.
Recently been not starting. Its cranking over but not firing.

* The below number are either rounded up or down
Their prices:
Distributor $578
Labor $173
job supplies $40
Taxes $40

$830!!!!

Doesnt need new wires or plugs. And this does not include wires and plugs.

I'm no mechanic but I took shop 4 years back in HS. I have done some repairs on cars.

Isn't replacing the distributor easy and fast?
I watched a view videws on youtube.
1. unplug wires
2. unplug connection
3. remove bolts
4. pull off old distributor

5. put on new distributor
6. replace and tighten bolts
7. re-connect the connection
8 replace plug wires onto cap

Isnt that it?
$830 just seems crazy.
Im thinking just having towed home and doing here.

Whats everyone opinions.

phi1542

Reaction score
Yeah I just looked up a couple videos and that's all they do. Bu sure use some painters tape and mark the wires so they go into the right spot. No way a distributor cost over 500 almost 600 lol.... Go get an aftermarket one thats way cheaper. ebay has them for like 60 bucks and Rock Auto is a really good site for parts. They are playing you bro. That small of a job I dont see how it can cost 173 for labor..... You should be able to do it yourself since you have some experience! Video looks pretty straight forward haha $830 can buy you a lot of car parts dude

604ACCORD

Reaction score
173 for installing a distributor is a dead ****ing hustle!!! I would go back and rip them a new ***... Its a matter of disconnecting 4 plug wires and removing 3 damn bolts. Oh ya and a wiring harness lol

phi1542

Reaction score
^Exactly haha you should never ever go back to that shop ever again. They playing you bro

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

trillobite

Reaction score
If you think you can do it yourself, do it. Although my gut instinct is telling me that it's probably not the distributor, so if possible, google the symptoms, and see if you can check the sensors. Ignition coil and the crank position sensor comes to mind, although I am not sure, I have been working on 70's chevy V8's until recently. (Not many sensors on those)

I may not be of much help, but providing more symptoms of the issue, the best you can, may help.

604ACCORD

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think the crank sensor is built in the dizzy also the coil
Forgot to mention most shops charge minimum 1 hr Labour where did u got to a damn Benz dealership

Last edited:

trillobite

Reaction score
Forgot to mention on "driveaccord.net" they mentioned that this is a common symptom of the "main relay" going bad.

frldyz

Reaction score
trillobite: Don't jinx me man. jk . I thought posssible main relay but he said not. That looks easy to fix. Here is what the invoice says.

" Scan computer systems associated with active light and record codes. Check for technical bulletins, recalls or other manufacture notes. Monitor system and check any faults. Test all fuses, wiring, and relays, control modules, and other items connected to the fault. Advice on repairs needed to address customers concern. -- intermittent no start, cranks okay. We found the during the crank no start condition fuel pressure was good but there was no spark present. We test the distributor and found the dwell out of check indicating it needs a new housing. A scan of the computer system also found the crank/cam position sensors have an intermittent fault. With both of these issues we recommend a complete distributor replacement fixing both issues with one part. "

Word for word from invoice.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
An OEM distributor is $488.22 and an aftermarket one is even less. So, he's marking up the **** out of where ever he's getting that distributor from.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I paid less than that for a timing belt job and that is way more involved, and it was at the dealer. What a crock.

Back