'98-00 hazard switch vs. 2000-02 AC Temp Control & Swap

Discussion in 'Car Audio & Electronics' started by hainlinCar, May 3, 2018.

1. hainlinCar

hainlinCar New Member

So I had a failing A/C control and it was just unreliable in the South Florida swamping heat. So I found what I thought to be a 100% compatible control and vent console and bought it. Newer style clock and hazard switch which doesn't illuminnate. So everything works perfectly and installs in minutes.... Except for the hazard switch interface which is totally different!

Anyone know of an adaptor or wiring diagram in order to re-enable my hazard switch?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2. RedRyder

RedRyder Be a better driver

I swapped to an 01 auto climate control unit and bezel, and just kept my 99 hazard switch to keep everything working fine.

3. FNCONE

FNCONE Well-Known Member

Do as Red said...
    IIRC it should plug in but DO NOT USE IT, it can burn up your drivers side multiplex due to different wiring. ( I said IIRC because I might be thinking of the TL)
    Please tell me you didn't try to turn it on and now your Dash Lights and hazards dont work...blown multiplex

let me know, can you take a picture of the connector showing the wires to confirm ( I have an 01)
    the pin-outs are

98-00
    1 Green / Red
    2 Green / Blue
    3 Green / Yellow
    5 Green / White
    6 Red / Black
    7 Red
    9 White / Green
    10 Yellow / Red

01-02
    1 Yellow / Red
    2 Green / White
    3 White / Green
    4 Green / Red
    5 Red
    6 Red / Black
    7 Green / Blue
    10 Green / Yellow

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  4. hainlinCar

hainlinCar New Member

Wow! Too late I did that and now my dash lights don't work! Darn it![​IMG]

5. hainlinCar

hainlinCar New Member

Went ahead and replaced the multiplexer yesterday and just in time! We got a severe rainstorm and traffic kept me far from home until late, so having dash lights was not only a safety feature, but it gave me confidence as well.

I found a used one in Ebay and only paid $35 for it shipped to me. After an hour of being baked in the sun I was able to go on with my day and into the night.

Next question, now that I know for a fact I burned out my unit, what actually fried? I mean I took the thing apart and the capacitors on the enclosed board were fine, so could it be as simple as swapping out the Siemens fuse blocks to get one working again? Just asking for curiosity sake is all.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. FNCONE

FNCONE Well-Known Member

Hey, Sorry for the late reply. On mine it was a blown capacitor iirc. You can usually smell the burned one lol.

7. hainlinCar

hainlinCar New Member

I suppose mine failed with less visual evidence. Capacitors aren't even swollen. A learning experience for sure.