98-02 possible subframe recall due to a/c drain pipe

001Stunna

Reaction score
This was posted over on TAC so just sharing it over

An exclusive 5 On Your Side investigation has uncovered a potential safety issue involving 1.5 million 1999-2002 Honda Accords based on complaints filed with federal safety regulators.
As a result, the Center for Auto Safety is calling on Honda to issue a voluntary recall due to rust that is quietly eating away at a major structural component.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration confirms it has received 11 complaints since 2009 of sub-frame rust that owners say has left their vehicles unsafe to operate.
There were no reports of crashes, injuries or deaths.
The sub-frame is a key structural element that holds helps hold a vehicle together.
In each case, the rust is located on the passenger side -- just below the drain for the vehicle's air conditioning system.
Tom Hites is a Cleveland area resident who first became aware of a rust issue last August.

"I heard a big clunk from the front end," said Hites.
He immediately headed to a local garage near his home where he was advised his sub-frame was rotted through and the vehicle was unsafe to drive.
That came as a surprise to Hites who has years of Honda service records that failed to indicate his sub-frame was rusted through.
"Nobody says anything," said Hites.
"All of a sudden, from the last oil change to this one, all of a sudden the sub-frame is rusted out."
Records we obtained from NHTSA detail similar complaints, including sub-frames that were described as "unsafe, failed inspection and in dangerous condition."
WEB EXTRA: Read the complains filed here: http://on.wews.com/RnUGn6
Hites provided Honda with photo's showing water from the air conditioning drain hose dripping onto the passenger side sub-frame, but was told there was nothing the company could do.
There was no rust visible on the drive side sub-frame.
A spokesperson for Honda said the company has also received 11 complaints but does not believe there is a defect and has not issued safety bulletins to warn consumers.
Honda described the location of the air conditioning drainage hose as "incidental" and not "causal" and insists the location of the rust would not be "easily seen during routine maintenance."
The company said a design change in the location of the drainage hose on 2003 Honda Accords was unrelated.

Even so, our 5 On Your Side investigation brought Hites Honda Accord to a local garage where a certified mechanic with 30 years experience said the rusted sub-frame could be easily seen during oil changes, tire rotations or break repairs.
Wally Parker operates Wally's Auto Service and said the rust would be 'hard to miss.'
"The minute we got it up there on the lift," said Parker, "we spotted it."
Another local mechanic even took his own video of a rusted Honda Accord sub-frame and posted it on YouTube.
Chris Wells operates Preppy Boys Auto Service and described what he saw.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4942433...ing-car-may-have-safety-problem/#.UH80qFH5NOm

Sleeper Cell

No more CG Squad!!!
Reaction score
TL;DR at the moment, but this sounds interesting.

Would be fun trying to explain to the dealer why my bashed up subframe needs to be swapped out though. lol

I actually still need to take my car in for a recall on the airbag!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
"Honda described the location of the air conditioning drainage hose as "incidental" and not "causal" and insists the location of the rust would not be 'easily seen during routine maintenance.'"

Excuses much? I can't stand hearing roundabout bull**** like that. It doesn't matter how it's seen, the fact is it's there. Take some responsibility, since you didn't really with the whole transmission debacle.

JetLife

Reaction score
TL;DR at the moment, but this sounds interesting.

Would be fun trying to explain to the dealer why my bashed up subframe needs to be swapped out though. lol

I actually still need to take my car in for a recall on the airbag!

same on the airbag. too lazy to make an appointment

Sleeper Cell

No more CG Squad!!!
Reaction score
It's funny, I actually have the TSB paperwork in my car for the airbag, as I put it there to remind me to take it to the dealer. I see it so much I forgot what it was for after a while lol.

Tylers

Reaction score
It's funny, I actually have the TSB paperwork in my car for the airbag, as I put it there to remind me to take it to the dealer. I see it so much I forgot what it was for after a while lol.

I got paperwork telling me I needed to take my car in also., turns out mine actually didnt need any work. They said it was totally random if they were affected. Got a free car was out the the deal. :D

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Well, seems like a good time to get a new subframe with a potential swap on the horizon.

Wonder if they would mind but a CL-S subframe in for me.

I posed the question in this thread on TAC, I assume it would be a similar situation for 2nd Gen CL/TL owners as well?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
So I just watched the video on youtube, the area in question is the corner under the oil filter (for V6 er's) so I don't think we have anything to worry about. It gets a fresh coat of rust proofer every 3000 miles. 4-cylinder folks will have to watch out though.

Back