98 V6 accord loss of power/loss of throttle response while drivin

operator

Reaction score
Hi, new to 6thGen. First question. I have a 98 V6 accord. Had it for about a month now. Was working fine up till the other day i was on my way home from a little drive when the car started to die. I was holding the pedal down maintaining my speed when the RPM's started droppin off like if i was letting off the gas. I let off the pedal and the car seemed to idle find and i try givin it some gas it took off and started to drop again. I got it home by let off the gas and back on again and again. Try it the next day think mabey out of gas but not the problem. As the car got up to temp. it started again. The Symptoms are: problem starts when at normal operation temp, loss throttle respones (kind of like taken your foot off the gas), car doesn't buck or stumble when it happens, Idle seems fine, car doesn't shut down/ stall (runs good at idle) Any ideas? thanks P.S Reg. maintance has been done since new (i.e spark plugs, wires, ect.)

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Exhaust Gas Recirculation or EGR valve seems to be the most common thing on V6's. If you search o nhere, u can find a DIY on how to take it out to replace or clean it.

Sometimes your throttle body can be dirty, Idle air control valve.

Sometimes your Mass air flow sensor MAF can be dirty and not reading correctly.

PCV valve is stuck and not allowing the heads to breath.

TPS or throttle position sensor could be dirty..

Search on here, find the things I told you. Starting with the EGR valve, tinker around a little bit. Buy some seafoam and T/B spray. You should be okay, unless you are inept when it comes to cars. Take it to the stealership.

If it was me, I would start out with the TPS sensor, but there are security screws on it and its been programed to a certain voltage. Someone who does not know anything about it, should not even attempt to take it off.

Last edited:

operator

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I do some work on cars. I tried to trouble shoot it a little bit already. check engine light did not come on up to this point. I was thinking mabey ICM? Coil? getting hot causin problem but was looking for more info before i go an spend money on needless parts. thanks. still looking for anybody that ran into same problem or other suggestions. thanks

stanleybb50

Reaction score
Although might not be it, but just wanted to mention possibly the catalytic converter as just a slight possibility...?

On another note, my I4 loses power at low RPM's when its warm, but not like you're explaining though...

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I do some work on cars. I tried to trouble shoot it a little bit already. check engine light did not come on up to this point. I was thinking mabey ICM? Coil? getting hot causin problem but was looking for more info before i go an spend money on needless parts. thanks. still looking for anybody that ran into same problem or other suggestions. thanks

Well how many miles are on your car? If there are less than 150k or so, you need to just clean a few sensors. That's what been done in the past with people on this forum and it works.

A few pump is unlikely and a catalytic converter will allow the car to run but extreamly rough

Last edited:

operator

Reaction score
Was first thinking fuel but how sudden the loss of throttle makes me feel that it is something to do with the fire side of things. Just driving along and all of sudden the RPM's drop off with no bucking or spuddering. Just like a switch was turned off. But it seems to idle fine with this is happeing. And if i press the gas again i have a bust of gas again, then goes away and then again, etc.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
If it was a spark problem it would be miss-firing even at idle, you would feel it. And a CEL would come on. If it was miss-firing, some of your spark plugs would be wet with gas.

operator

Reaction score
Just a update on my problem with loss of power. This seems to happen at a certain throttle postion. When i play with the throttle and give it more i can get rid of the "hessitation". So i check out my TPS sensor, did all the checks road tested with Volt meter and reading seemed good even when car acted up. So i moved on to the MAP sensor. So far tested the Volts coming from the computer, reading was 3.6V but thats lower than my maunal says (should be about 5V) Has anyone had any problems with there Map sensor and what kind of problems did they have? P.S still no check engine light! Thanks

Back