acceptable estimate on painting bumpers??

chriskarel

Reaction score
Hey guys today I went to a place near me that does collision repair to get an estimate to fix a few scrapes on my bumpers and repaint them. They estimated it at $1,200. My first instinct is holy eff that seems way high, but I'm certainly not an expert on the matter...is that a reasonable price?

metrick1235

Reaction score
well i dont know what kind of paint or what kind of work they think then need to do but 1200 is way high for just a bumper.. I got quoted for 1400 for my entire car in a different color... that included sanding priming and painting...

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Interesting places these shops.......OP, you need to walk out the door of that place you went to......$400 is about the average of a quality, life time guarantee paint job on a bumper.

juicebox00

Reaction score
if your current bumper is messed up(other than paint chips) buy a new one( i got after market and it fit perfect, but i guess i got lucky) and take it to 1 Day Paint if they have those near you. best paint for the price. And that shop that quoted $1200 better be using gold flaked paint or some ****.

JEER42

Reaction score
$1200 for painting and repairing bumpers is a rip off! I'm sure you can get them done for about $500. They will not repair your bumpers, they will be new aftermarket bumper covers.

dtraill27

Reaction score
Depending on the damage most places would just rather replace the bumper. I have a hole in my front bumper from the front plate bracket that I was looking at getting fixed and the two places I went said $600 to get a new one and have it painted.

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score
It all depends on the overhead and quality of the shop you brought them to. If they use cheap materials, the price will be considerably cheaper than a well-renowned shop that's using BASF Glasurit or PPG Global/Vibrance products and then wetsanding/buffing afterwards. I'll assume you took it to a shop that's not using top-of-the-line products and wetsanding/buffing afterwards, in which case that $1200 estimate is too high. Shop around and find a shop that's got what you're looking for quality-wise and price-wise.

Back