Any Bikers??

hiddengamer7

Reaction score
Well, I'm selling my Fuel this week. That means that I'm either gonna get a new Remedy 29 or pocket the money and get a cheap mountain bike like the Rig.

Remedy
Asset_136402

Rig

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
Wow those are pretty different options haha. Do you think the Rig would keep you happy in the long run? I know you have been mtn biking lots lately.

I have thought about selling my Fuel since I have not been on it since October. But I don't' really want to since I will never be able to get such a bike for cheap without employee pricing.

Testing out some wheels. Not sure if I like riding with such deep dish. It didn't come with amazing wheels but I still think these added about 1/3 of a pound to the bike.

DSC_0296a_zpsa4c44589.jpg

hiddengamer7

Reaction score
Well, because I'm getting a good chunk of change for my fuel, I could either spend it all and get the Remedy, or save like $1500 and get the Rig. I am actually leaning more towards that and just getting some nice wheels and live with it until I'm done with school...

Also, Eric, those wheels look sweet, but you're right about weight. Maybe try a smaller section wheel? Those look pretty deep, maybe try something like a Zipp 303? Something in the 25-35mm range.

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
the wheels transformed the bike completely. so you work for ride 615?

Nah I just know the owner from when I used to work at a shop. Those are actually his wheels, I just wanted to try them out.

Well, because I'm getting a good chunk of change for my fuel, I could either spend it all and get the Remedy, or save like $1500 and get the Rig. I am actually leaning more towards that and just getting some nice wheels and live with it until I'm done with school...

Also, Eric, those wheels look sweet, but you're right about weight. Maybe try a smaller section wheel? Those look pretty deep, maybe try something like a Zipp 303? Something in the 25-35mm range.

True, extra money is always good. Would you not spend almost all of your savings on the wheels? Could the Rig handle most of the trails you ride on? I have always wanted to try out a SS mtn bike but was always afraid of the climbing part. Still never had a proper ride on a 29er either.

I can't remember how big he said the lip on these are (50s I believe). The ones I actually was wanting to buy do have a smaller lip, in the range you provided. Not sure on the brand though, they are his "in house" wheels. I believe he said they weigh around 1200grams for the 32mm. The DT wheels that came with the bike are about 1900grams or so.

hiddengamer7

Reaction score
Honestly, in house brands or even cheap Chinese knockoffs are still super nice and will last an average rider a long time. If you're not dropping the hammer every time you ride or dropping off curbs all the time, you'll have great success with them.

The wheels I'm gonna get are Bontrager wheels, so I can employee purchase them along with the bike, so it will be really reasonable.

hiddengamer7

Reaction score
1012878_10200952182625422_258277222_n.jpg

Sold the Fuel and went with the Rig for a change of pace. Different wheels, carbon bar, shorter stem installed and a Thomson seatpost in the mail.

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
Awesome!! congrats on the swap. How have the new additions to the bike treated you so far? You are making me contemplate selling my fuel since I never ride it. Of course the Trek Demo day in Nashville is this weekend when I work. It was earlier in the year (when I was off) but for some reason they had to move it.

Sooo I am looking into getting a SS as a toy bike aka maybe use to commute to work. I have rode a few times with people that don't ride much and taking my road bike has honestly made it not as much fun since I just coast the whole time.

Any recommendations. I have looked at the Trek Earl, Specialized Globe Roll 1, or maybe the Raleigh Rush Hour. I honestly am wanting something without drop bars, so if I got the Rush Hour I would have to change them. The Earl was fun to ride around the shop, but not sure I would enjoy actually owning it. I don't know anything about the Roll 1.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
IMG_20111004_234614.jpg

IMG_20111004_234505.jpg

I built that with a Yakima front axle mount that's for trucks, I think. Works pretty well, and almost caused a few accidents due to rubberneckers.

Unfortunately I can't ride my Trek anymore because of a hip injury, I might be able to do a road bike so I've been thinking about picking one up or building a fixed gear to fool around with.

Back