Brake lights not working

igrindnonstop

Reaction score
I also agree that it is unlikely that all bulbs went at the same time. Is your third brake light also not working? I'm pretty sure that the third brake light on our accords is run through a separate circuit so I doubt its the fuses. Check the brake switch

I had one go bad on my car causing the brake lights to intermittently work and my cruise control also stopped working.

VancouverAccord: I will check my third brake light as soon as i get off work, but I will check my cruise control as well. i never really use it to stop and go traffic. If it does happen to be the Brake Switch. Is it something that is fairly easy to D.I.Y? Thank you for the advise.

Bx6thgen

Reaction score
Hey every one. This is my first post. Any hoot, ran across this thread and didn't see any one post a concrete solution. 99% of the time if your brake lights don't work but your tail lights do, it is most likely a faulty brake light switch. The switch is located above your brakes.( Sorry I don't have a pic to show. Google is a friend though:)

I ran across this issue when my brake lights were not working. My center brake lights was out completely for like a year and then all 3 stopped working this past month. Changed the brake light switch with one I brought from auto zone, and now I have all three working perfectly.

In addition, the brake light switch controls your cruise control and the gear shifter. So if your cruise control does not work, and/or you have to kinda wiggle your gear shifter button to get it into different gears. This should fix those issues.

Hope this answer helps some one!

james'99

Reaction score
Hey every one. This is my first post. Any hoot, ran across this thread and didn't see any one post a concrete solution. 99% of the time if your brake lights don't work but your tail lights do, it is most likely a faulty brake light switch. The switch is located above your brakes.( Sorry I don't have a pic to show. Google is a friend though:)

I ran across this issue when my brake lights were not working. My center brake lights was out completely for like a year and then all 3 stopped working this past month. Changed the brake light switch with one I brought from auto zone, and now I have all three working perfectly.

In addition, the brake light switch controls your cruise control and the gear shifter. So if your cruise control does not work, and/or you have to kinda wiggle your gear shifter button to get it into different gears. This should fix those issues.

Hope this answer helps some one!

The only thing I have to say in return to that solution is if his brake switch weren't working, the brake lamp indicator would not ever illuminate. But this could probably help someone!

Bx6thgen

Reaction score
The only thing I have to say in return to that solution is if his brake switch weren't working, the brake lamp indicator would not ever illuminate. But this could probably help someone!

I believe, and I might be wrong, that the circuit for the brake light switch is connected to the brake lamp light on dash. So a faulty brake light switch, can cause that light on your dash to come on.

james'99

Reaction score
I believe, and I might be wrong, that the circuit for the brake light switch is connected to the brake lamp light on dash. So a faulty brake light switch, can cause that light on your dash to come on.

How that works is when you press the pedal down and the circuit is completed, 12V is sent to this box and the box turns on the brake lights. The box measures current flow and if the current is too low, it will say that there is a brake light out. That is how that bulb on the dash gets illuminated.

Not trying to tear you down by any means!

Back