Can I use 55w HID lights in original HL housing?

Mikey

Reaction score
OEM lights aren't projectors.

I personally wouldn't use 55w. 35w should be more than enough.

You'll also get flack for using HIDs in OEM housing WITHOUT a projector but so long as they're aimed a little lower and they aren't an obnoxious color, you'll be fine.

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am assuming you are talking about HIDs for the low beam and I agree with RR and Mikey about sticking to 35W systems if you're going to keep the stock headlight. The OEM Honda reflector (not projector) was not designed to focus an HID light source, so a lot of the light output will be wasted as glare; so 55w means more glare. This has nothing to do with melting anything, since your stock 9006 bulb is also rated at 55W, and the HID bulb is even more efficient at translating power into the visible (vs infrared = heat) spectrum.

One of my many future TO DO's is a quad projector retrofit ... assuming I don't file for bankruptcy first :p

KombatVirus

Reaction score
Go with the 35W bulb, 4300k color temp. That will give you the best light output in the stock reflector housing. Anything else is kind of obnoxious

johnnxiv

Reaction score
Thank man, but im asking about my wire harness, not ballasts

I worry about the rest of my wire harness, I tire the rest of the wire harness to the Negative power cable to the battery, can any1 suggest me a good place to mount the extra wire harness, please?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Well the ballast placement sort of dictates the harness routing/placement. Place the ballast where you want it, then route the wiring harnesses as you please. Just make sure the wires are clear of moving parts or parts that get hot. Make it tidy with zip ties and what not and route it as you please. If there's nothing to ziptie them to, just heatshrink them or wrap them in electrical tape.

johnnxiv

Reaction score
I have looked around and couldnt fine a safe place for my left over rounded up wire harness. basically I cant find a part will not get hot to mount the harness, any other suggestion?

Back