CAT Heat Shields

Elcid

Reaction score
Hi All,

I need to replace My Cat's upper and lower heat shields on my 2002 EX-V6 sedan. I was thinking of doing it myself and saving $50.00 labor charge from Strauss Auto.

Has anyone done this themselves?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Elcid

Reaction score
Thanks ... diagram shows 4 bolts ... will replace all with new ones.

Thanks again.

SeanXtec

Reaction score
You'll need a 22mm wrench for the O2 sensor, a 12mm socket for the top side, and a 10mm socket for the bottom. A $50 labor charge is absolutely ridiculous, it will take you longer to jack up the car than to replace the shields.

But what is so wrong with the shields that they need replacing?

Elcid

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed instructions.

When I went to dealer for oil change and they told me I needed to replace them. I figured they were right ... car has 115K miles. They wanted $250. I said hell no. I brought the parts online and figured to do it myself.

You really need to take off O2 sensor? I am not too handy, I wouldn't screw up the sensor?

Thanks.

finch13

Reaction score
Just don't spray with with chemicals or get it dirty.

I don't think the O2 is 22mm... I used a regular wrench to get mine off an my set only goes up to 19mm.... hmm.

Usually, they only need to be changed when they rust so much they rattle.

SeanXtec

Reaction score
Just don't spray with with chemicals or get it dirty.

I don't think the O2 is 22mm... I used a regular wrench to get mine off an my set only goes up to 19mm.... hmm.

Usually, they only need to be changed when they rust so much they rattle.

I just took my shield off for fixing yesterday and needed a 22mm...Could be a difference between the I4 and V6?

And I agree, really don't see a need to replace them unless they are badly rusted and/or rattling. If yours has rusted past one of the screws like mine, I'd suggest just drilling another hole to put a screw through.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Yeah Elcid, I'd inspect them first to make sure they do in fact need to be replaced. Just check to see if they're loose/rusted. If not, I'd leave them alone. Some dealers are notorious for trying to nickle and dime people.

Back