Challenger wallpaper I made [hi-res]

finch13

Reaction score
I dunno, it took maybe an hour... the headlights and reflections were fairly simple to do and removing the tags took less than a minute each...

fothermucker

Reaction score
Which tool/method did you use to remove the tags?

I tried with the clone stamp and healing brush. I don't have a steady hand so I gave up with that.

finch13

Reaction score
I used the clone stamp with I wanna say a 6 px brush for the mirror tag. That was tricky since I had to draw the top of where the mirror sticks to the windshield... for the other tag, I just sort of drew in a selection with the polygon lasso tool to recreate the A-pillar and then filled it with the pattern from the pillar. The pillar doesn't look very real, but you can't tell at actual size + tint.

I've found that the healing brush really only works for spots like dust, grain, dirt, etc...

might as well spill the beans on the rest....

For the headlights, I made a copy of the background and deleted everything except the headlights, parkings lights, fog lights, and their reflections (The flare will spill onto the reflections and make them appear to reflect "on" as well). Then I went in and threw a 35mm lens flare at 100% on the head/parking lights as well as a 50% 35mm flare on the fogs. Because I copied the headlights onto a new layers and deleted everything else, the flare only lights up the housing and doesn't flare the whole picture like it normally would. Went back with the paintbrush set to "Saturation" and black and went over the heads/fogs to remove the traces of yellow in them, set the brush to "Color" and picked a really light sky blue/cyan and colored the heads and fogs to give them a nice 6000K temp. Chose a nice orange and set the brush to "Color Burn" to give the appearance that an orange bulb was shining through the parking lights rather than a white from the flare.

As for the tint, I just copied the windshield onto a new layer and I think i had the brush on black and set to "Color" or something... with the opacity turned down so I could effectively tint the windows without removing the reflections and the color of the reflections...

And to desaturate the background I just went into Image>Adjust.>Hue/Sat. and tuned all the colors to how I wanted them. The car is really only Magenta/Red, some Yellow, and a bit of Orange, so you can monkey with the greens and blue a ton without changing the car.

The grille was fixed with just a black brush.... plus a bunch other dinky stuff that I can't remember.

Back