CL1 Euro R engine in a CG5 Sedan?

accorddude44

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here. I'm 16 and from New Zealand!

I've got a 1998 Accord LXi (DX/VP for those of you in the US) with an F23A5 non-VTEC plant, it burns oil badly. I've spotted a 2002 Accord Euro R at a wrecker's that's been in a front-end collision, the radiator seems fucked, but the engine looks okay. It's got an H22A redtop (as standard), and I'm hopefully going to yank out the engine, trans, engine mounts, loom and ECU and slap it into my car.

Will everything bolt up and connect to my car without modification? I'm really hoping for this to be a simple installation as I'm kinda poor and can't afford too many parts, this is my first car and I don't wanna get rid of it for something that doesn't burn oil.

I've attached photos of my car and the Euro R at the wrecking yard.

Thanks for the info.

IMG_20190215_174307_370.jpg

euro r 2.jpg

euro r.jpg

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I'm a V6 guy so don't quote me 100% here as I'm sure more knowledgeable people on the 4cyl will chime in, but I think the engine/trans bolts up. The less simple part comes with wiring. Is the instrument cluster something to grab too or is it a completely different shape?

Last edited:

accorddude44

Reaction score
So I want to yank out the engine and tranny from a Euro R and bolt it up into my car, which I know I can do easily (as long as I change out one engine mount).

How difficult will it be changing the stock wiring harness to the Euro R harness to make the H22A motor work in my F23A5 non-VTEC car?

Will the chassis-side of the harness connect to my CG connectors and whatnot?

And if I throw in the ECU and wire it up, will it start up or does the ECU require modification?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check out Drift's DIY guide, it's about as detailed for your application as it can get.

pmus

Reaction score
You don't need instrument cluster, people just use h22 as a drop-in replacement, because F-series and H-series are barely twins.

InterAV

Reaction score
I've done pretty much the same swap! Hopefully I can be helpful. I believe your '98 Accord is OBD2A, and the '02 Euro-R is going to be OBD2B, slight difference in plugs at the ECU. You'll want to grab the ECU and engine harness from the wrecked car, this harness will also already have VTEC wired in, since your '98 doesn't. Since both cars are Accords, you should be able to use all of the factory mounts currently in your '98 Accord. H22s that come out of Preludes have a different mount on the timing belt side which would require an adapter to fit into the Accord, but luckily the Euro-R is already setup for an Accord chassis. If your current '98 Accord is already manual, this should simplify things a lot, and the Euro-R engine harness should plug into your Accord body harness. Your ECU should not need any modifications to work properly. I know on my USDM CG6 chassis, the fuel relay pin coming from the chassis harness needed to be relocated to a different pin on the ECU plug, but that's quite easy to relocate. I know I'm forgetting some small details but I think it should be quite a straightforward swap. The swap on my Accord was pretty much worst case scenario, since I was coming from an Auto, California-Emissions Accord and the Euro-R harness would not plug into the auto chassis harness. I had to modify my auto F23A harness. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me!

Back