***Corrosion solutions for coilovers***

turbo_911

Reaction score
Everyone with F&F Type 2 or Type 2.5 that had them for more than 2 months at least, and drove in rain/snow. Can you guys please look and see if you have some type of corrosion on your coilovers? Mainly looking at this part (look at the picture below).

FFType25.jpg

Thank you.

EDIT: Combined info all to first page

This is what I used

I've actually found that anti-seize thing that I posted, in grey bottle works the best for the threads. For everything else I would use what Justin recommended, though I haven't tried it yet. I tried regular stuff that was recommended by others, but it didn't work for the threads at all. That's where I had corrosion and had to clean them really well, before making adjustments. For spring and bottom part of the collar, that liquid spray stuff works well.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...icant-Permatex_7070021-P_N3287_T|GRP2058_____

It's in the grey bottle, and has a small brush that you can apply it.

Had my coilovers installed around June last year and I drive all thru winter (salt slush whatever). BUT I sprayed rust check on the threads about once every 2-3 weeks during winter. http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/0477907P/no-rust-check-spray-reviews/reviews.htm

And I just adjusted them last week and had no problems at all. I just used an old paint brush to clean off the sand and dirt off the thread before turning the collars.

Find a John Deere dealer and buy a can of Fluid Film. That stuff is ****ing awesome. I spray everything on my plow and plow truck down with that stuff, and there isn't a speck of rust on either. It's also a lubricant so it will keep things from seizing. I spray my entire plow blade down with it because it keeps the snow from sticking to it.

fluid-film-gear-patrol.jpg

Last edited:

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
Re: ATTN everyone with F&F Type 2.5

well type 2 and 2.5 are the same besides the eibach springs i think...so with that being said...no mine doesn't.

i have type 2's

turbo_911

Reaction score

well type 2 and 2.5 are the same besides the eibach springs i think...so with that being said...no mine doesn't.

i have type 2's

You have F&F on your Subaru? Oh and how long did you had yours? Also coilover shaft is it black or like on picture metal color?

knighthawk1104

Reaction score

i still have my accord dude. :thinking:

haha but i've had my type 2's since summer of 2010...around the end of summer.

EDIT: it's that light gold color.

SykVSyx

Reaction score

My understanding is a good wire brush should take care of any corrosion etc on that part of the coilover, Slava.

turbo_911

Reaction score

Yeah, that's what I had to use, and it took me like 2 hours to clean two front shocks lol. And I drove only ONCE when it snowed, other times the car was in garage. That's crazy and I had them for 3 months so far.

I also sealed them with special grey stuff lol, not sure what its called.

99accord boi

Reaction score

actually havent checked and it rained last month fr 5 days straight

F23A1AT

Reaction score

I've had mine on for about 6 months now. No corrosion at all, you have bad luck with coils lol.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score

I've had mine on for about 6 months now. No corrosion at all, you have bad luck with coils lol.

imma have to agree with this

you guys dont live where they salt the roads.

corrosion on the threads is common. its what happens, and all its takes is once. my rears are fawked hahaha, fronts are good though because ive always had them covered in the winter months...but now i just have all four coils covered all year long...not that it really matters for the rears though haha. you can clean them off, as youve discovered, but it does take a little elbow grease. and the never-seez **** that you most likely have put on them should be good, just make sure you check on it because im sure itll come off over time.​

Back