Cost to rebuild transmission?

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
ive got a 98 on its second auto and its been slipping for almost a year now. Hopefully i'll get the 5-speed swap done sometime.

Chafalafas

Reaction score
I got mine last week for 2650.00 installed with 3 yrs 36,000 mile warranty from honda. and had the same issue from 1st to 2nd gear then my 4th gear gave way and had to drive in 3rd.

angelusnhc

Reaction score
man mine slips super bad on second and third gear. im scared its going to go any time now

nyknick1015

Reaction score
if you want to save money on the auto.. i would Buy it separately and bring it to the shop to have it put on... auto trannies are a dime a dozen especially rebuilt... there is one place around me that i asked them if i took out the tranny and just brought it to them to do the work, it was around 500 cuz most of what you pay for is labor

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
if you want to save money on the auto.. i would Buy it separately and bring it to the shop to have it put on... auto trannies are a dime a dozen especially rebuilt... there is one place around me that i asked them if i took out the tranny and just brought it to them to do the work, it was around 500 cuz most of what you pay for is labor

That's the best way. If you want to solve the problem perminately you should compare the price for an automatic vs 5 speed. Usually the 5 speed is around the same price if not less..

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Some of the 98-00 I4 Auto tranies were included in a class action lawsuit against Honda, but it only included a certain VIN's. I never had any problems with my auto, sometimes it would sift hard from first to second when it was cold, but once it warmed up it was fine. At one point I thought it was starting to go because it would slip from 3rd to 4th on occasion, but then I serviced the transmission and it was fine.

I don't know why more of you don't register your car with Honda's Owners Link. It'll tell you everything about your car, recalls, TSB's, etc.....

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
I don't qualify for anything cuase i'm over the 100k mark and i'm the 3rd owner :(

olivesomra

Reaction score
It cost me $1200 even. I know a place in southern cali that does all our cars for that price. pm me if ne one needs the contact in southern cali.

Back