Define Propaganda PREASE

Discussion in 'Life Lessons' started by almightyfargoth, Jun 26, 2013.

1. almightyfargoth

almightyfargoth Well-Known Member

Ok here we go you guys... stand back.

I have this really lame paper to write, from a teacher who thinks a business writing course should have nothing to do with email etiquette or filing reports correctly and instead should be philosophical as hell and nitpicky

In which he said to write a paper "defining propaganda". He gave little to no explanation, even after being asked. He simply said "define propaganda in your own best way"

I don't know if he means we're allowed to ever include the true meaning of the word, or if he's saying we're supposed to be looking at this like we're someone who doesn't know what it means. I have to imagine you have to have some small history of knowing what the word's definition is though or else...this would just be a stupid assignment.

but yeah, can you guys voice what you define propaganda as?

2. almightyfargoth

3. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Close-minded bull****. That's the simplest way I can put it. Well, maybe just bull****.

I came across a piece of "propaganda" the other day. Saw, from a distance, what appeared to be money on the ground. As I got closer, I noticed it was not in fact real but fake. Upon picking it up, I didn't see any religious markings or pictures. It was a $1,000,000 bill by the way. But a closer inspection revealed markings and sayings such as, "Department of Eternal Affairs", "Secretary of Visual Media", and some spiel about God and Jesus. I brought it home and I still haven't bothered to read the whole thing. I just can't.

I kept it because there's usually something that you can see from a distance that alerts you to it's unrealistic nature. This looks like money, feels like money, and even sports a portrait of an actual US president and Washington crossing the Delaware.

Nonetheless, propaganda. A one-sided piece of media used to either spread the word of some organization or bring "information" to the "masses".

4. Valet

Valet IS300 SX > Accord

Usually warping the truth or simply making **** up to force an opinion on you.

Like the new "truth" campaign about tobacco companies. The latest one about blacks and homeless. The bottom says found in Big Tobacco files 1979-89 and 1995 respectively.

What is Big Tobacco? It's not a company it's something used to label the tobacco industry. So... What files did they find that in exactly? :lawl:

They preach about how they're terrible people and they force it on kids.

It's a business. They have to advertise to be successful. The people in charge of it are just normal people like you and I out to make a living. Kids have a mind of their own. They are all well aware of what cigarettes do. But will they stop a young rebellious heart? Never has, never will. The advertising has nothing to do with it.

Bringing me back to propaganda is bull**** to force an opinion.

5. almightyfargoth

look at these people responding and me not getting a GODDAMN email in sight :lawl:

yeah, I included so far a paragraph about big business and another about smear campaigns during elections

I just started mentioning about propaganda during war times in the earlier half of the century, because they were all about that stuff back then and how they were often racist as crap

that's good stuff so far though, seems to be what I was thinking

it's really hard writing something you want to base solely on history though....and I think he's wanting us to create an argument out of it?

he's really big into us having an argument, some kind of question that you voice an opinion on that someone could disagree with, in papers.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  6. DarkSideAccord

DarkSideAccord nadeshiko fobz ftw..

in simple terms, brainwashing

7. ryan s

ryan s they dont think it

an opinion or viewpoint composed of the mindset that one way of thinking is correct and the opposite is wrong; villainizing freedom of thought; ensuring that "if you say something false enough times, it starts to become the truth"; the use of relatable and empathetic terminology to sway an opinion.