DIY, changing driver seat cover

mx5kev

Reaction score
I have found on Ebay US a shop selling new genuine like leather seat cover for our accord. As mine was torn on the driver side, it was the opportunity to change it. Unfortunately they only make the cover for facelift Accord with side airbag. So you'll have to make the hole for the folding seat knob and there will be too small holes left on the top of the seat and the side airbag label. The brackets on the left side are different too but it fits like that, so it's no problem.

This is not a full tutorial as it is delivered with a pretty good manual. And it is not very hard work.
Sorry for the pics quality, I had problems with my dslr.

So here is our driver seet before :) :

You have to start by removing the back pannel hold by two clips on the bottom and brackets on the top. Just pull it. You will have access to all the springs and fasteners of the cover :

So first remove the clips of the lumbar and fold knob then remove both knob
Then you'll have to release all the springs hooks and clips.

Once you've done that you'll have to remove the headrest guide. Lift and pull the button, then unscrew the guide and remove it. To remove it, you can pinch the guide clip from the inside, so you won't break it pulling hard from the top.

And the full cover gets out, don't forget to unplug the heating seat resistor. You'll have to sew the resistor back to the new cover. :

Then you install in the reverse order. Stretch properly the new cover. To easily pull back all the springs, I have put rislan on them so it is easier to pull them to their holders.

As it is conceived for side airbag version it's not the same on the left side, you have to pull the the fastener and set it in the brackets on the left side of the cover.

In my case, I did not achieve to stretch it as much as the original one.

Plug back the resistor of the heating seat, put the knobs bak with their clips, the headrest guide, and take a beer.

And it's done. I think it looks pretty good. I just have to find a way to really clean the cushion and passenger seat. I have to figure out a way to fill in the two small holes too. Anyway, its much better than the former torn seats.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Not bad, though the new cover looks lighter. But maybe it's the lighting or because the older cover needs cleaned. Thanks for sharing this, should help when I go to remove my CL seat cover.

mx5kev

Reaction score
Thanks.

Redryder, the color is right, there a bit of the lighting, as it was quite dark that day and because the older cover needs cleaned. I have ordered a gliptone kit for that :D

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Not bad. I got my covers to fit a little tighter by adding 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch foam on areas that have worn down. You can also you a heat gun to pull out the wrinkles

Mikey

Reaction score
Keep an eye on those. I redid mine about 2 years ago and it's already starting to show signs of wear in that same corner again. Pretty sure mine was an OEM piece but regardless, it's still wearing.

Good write-up. :thumbsup:

Mikey

Reaction score
You need small hands. I needed the, slightly painful, aid of my girlfriend when i did mine as my hands were too big.

Back