DIY: My Accord TSX Retro

Nittanys1

Banned
Reaction score
Hey everyone!! I just purchased TSX Projectors, Ballast, Bulbs, and Ignitors (all new) this week and decided to give the retro a go! I am going to do my own retro over the next few weeks and will be giving my own DIY for everyone.

STEP 1: Opening headlight

Put headlight in oven for 10-15 mins at 200degs.

IMG_7058.jpg

Then take the headlight out and start to pry open the end farthest away from the turn signal with a flat head screw driver. Pry open until there is enough to get your hands in then gently separate the res of the headlight apart. Be careful not to break any clips that are down near the turn signal side.

IMG_7060.jpg

STEP 2: Removing trim

IMG_7061.jpg

IMG_7062.jpg

Once apart you can now work on getting out the headlight trim. There are a few reasons to remove this, whether it is to black-out the trim or changing the color of the reflectors. I already have my headlights blacked out, as you can see, so I will be able to skip that part. However I am going to swap my clear reflectors for the orange reflectors I have from my OEM headlights.

IMG_7065.jpg

Before you can take out the trim you first must unscrew two screws that hold it in place.

IMG_7067.jpg

Also there may, and prob will, be some glue on the inside of the housing preventing you from easily removing the trim. To defeat this problem get your screw driver and pull out/off the glue from the trim.

IMG_7070.jpg

Once the glue has been separated from all the edges you can now separate the trim from the lens. To do this first pull the trim up from the end farthest away from the turn signal.

IMG_7069.jpg

IMG_7071.jpg

Now I had some of the glue stick to the trim, so to clean it up I took some Goo Gone to take it off. If you do this you need to be quick to apply and quick to remove the goo gone. Not only will it take off the glue, it will also take the paint off.

IMG_7072.jpg

IMG_7075.jpg

Once the trim Is taken out you can now work on getting the reflectors changed. In order to get them swapped out you will need to sand down a little on them.

IMG_7076.jpg

After you get it sanded down you can go ahead and put the trim back in reverse order of how it was taken out.

IMG_7077.jpg

IMG_7078.jpg

STEP 3: Removing Reflector

This is a simple step but still needs to be done carefully! To get the reflector out all you need to do is unscrew the reflector from the housing. Unscrew the two screws (highlighted in red) then turn the high beam screw counter clockwise.

IMG_7079.jpg

IMG_7080.jpg

IMG_7082.jpg

Once you have the reflector removed tape it up and get it ready for the retro!

IMG_7084.jpg

IMG_7086.jpg

IMG_7087.jpg

IMG_7088.jpg

IMG_7089.jpg

IMG_7090.jpg

I spent the rest of the night getting the projector lined up and fitted for just one headlight.....I need to pick up some shrouds to clean everything up (yet something else to buy on the build....)

IMG_7099.jpg

IMG_7100.jpg

IMG_7094.jpg

IMG_7095.jpg

IMG_7096.jpg

IMG_7097.jpg

IMG_7098.jpg

Nittanys1

Banned
Reaction score
I just picked up there shrouds....More work will be done once I receive the shrouds!

67_1.jpg

So I spent over a month waiting on a fellow accord owner to finish my harness...and I received it yesterday. I didn't work anymore on my retro as I was making sure the x,y,z angles were right to finish the retro. Thus without the harness I couldnt test the lights to see if i had angled everything correctly.

Here are some pics of my harness:

Here is the harness:
harness.jpg

Once I looked at it closer I noticed that the pars were not sealed properly....that down the road moisture would have its way with the harness.

relaypower.jpg

relay_close.jpg

powerground.jpg

If you look at the connections you can see the liquid electrical glue that i used to seal the openings.....

Nittanys1

Banned
Reaction score
I still have to wire up the lights and see how the angles are. then i can continue the progress!

I just did quick test of the light and everything looks to be in working order and level!

IMG_8044.jpg

IMG_8045.jpg

Nittanys1

Banned
Reaction score
I finished putting together the 2nd headlight! Tomorrow I plan on installing them on the car and checking everything for levelness then they will be sealed up!

IMG_8046.jpg

IMG_8049.jpg

Nittanys1

Banned
Reaction score
well I wired up the car today, went to turn the lights on and blew a fuse...I tried again and the same fuse went...then again....so now im a little puzzled as it worked yesterday but now its not...

Here are a few pics of the install...note the covers are not on the car as I WAS going to test the lights tonight to see if they were level but that is not going to happen now....

PA250002.jpg

PA250001.jpg

PA250003.jpg

PA250004.jpg

PA250005.jpg

PA250006.jpg

PA250007.jpg

Nittanys1

Banned
Reaction score
Well after talking to some ppl I have found out that my harness was made incorrectly. I either need to add more fuses to it or get a totally new one form someone else.... So while I was waiting to figure that out I sealed up my ballast and redid SOME of the harness.

IMG_8057.jpg

IMG_8058.jpg

IMG_8059.jpg

GOD DAMNIT!!!! I got new fuses and tested it out again....i blew boh of my ballast....$415 to get new ones!!! **** ME!

IMG_8141.jpg

Nittanys1

Banned
Reaction score
A little update:

I was able to find the same ballast online for $99 shipped so I will see if they were worth the money when they get here, meaning I dont know for sure if they will work...ebay....

I added fuse holders to both of the positive leads to the ballasts. I saudered the ends and taped everything up very well. I also extended the grounds on the back of the ignitors along with adding the liquid electrical tape to the back of them so they are protected in case of contact with any other metal objects in the engine bay.

I havent been able to get into my mail as my mac crashed (thus the reason this update has no pics...)on me Sat and the online log-in isnt working correctly. So im not sure when I will receive the other ballast to continue the DIY, .

pics:

IMG_8148.jpg

IMG_8151.jpg

IMG_8150.jpg

IMG_8153.jpg

Nittanys1

Banned
Reaction score
well today I worked on the setup a little more...I finished re-running all the wires and have test fit the ballasts in prep for the new ones so once i get them I can get back on track with the retro...im HOPING to have it done by friday!!! that is if i get the ballasts tomorrow...

I received the ballasts 3 days later.....the guy sold me fried ballasts! damnit!

I have just finished my bezels and am one step closer to finishing!
Im now in need of some chrome spray as the chrome has came off the bezels that i just fitted to my lights to cover up the projectors.

IMG_8709.jpg

IMG_8708.jpg

IMG_8710.jpg

IMG_8711.jpg

well i tested out the paint.....now what...

IMG_8712.jpg

IMG_8713.jpg

IMG_8714.jpg

im not sure if i like this color. Im prob going to go back to home depot tomorrow and get a different color.

IMG_8716.jpg

IMG_8715.jpg

Well I took apart the headlight (left side) last night and fixed my problem, resealed them up and and installed them today. I washed the car yesterday which was the first wash it has had in 3 months!!! Once I got the light installed I went out on a photo shoot! ENJOY! If I don't go and do anything tonight I'll have some pics up from night time

Ohh and on a final note I took the orange reflectors out and swapped in the clear one....they will look better now and when ever I get around to painting the car. (another color...shhh)

IMG_8717.jpg

IMG_8718.jpg

IMG_8719.jpg

IMG_8720.jpg

IMG_8725.jpg

IMG_8726.jpg

IMG_8727.jpg

IMG_8728.jpg

IMG_8730.jpg

IMG_8733.jpg

IMG_8734.jpg

IMG_8736.jpg

IMG_8741.jpg

IMG_8743.jpg

IMG_8746.jpg

IMG_8747.jpg

IMG_8749.jpg

IMG_8752.jpg

IMG_8750.jpg

IMG_8751.jpg

IMG_8756.jpg

IMG_8759.jpg

IMG_8760.jpg

IMG_8765.jpg

I just went out and took pics of the cut off. I wasnt on level ground and still need to be adjust some more. but you get an idea on what it looks like.

IMG_8772.jpg

IMG_8773.jpg

IMG_8774.jpg

IMG_8774.jpg

IMG_8778.jpg

IMG_8779.jpg

IMG_8780.jpg

IMG_8781.jpg

IMG_8782.jpg

IMG_8783.jpg

IMG_8784.jpg

IMG_8785.jpg